"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 09-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Master Chef
Cooked Brown Rice - How Long Will It Safely Last?

I have a 14-year old Husky who, due to dental problems, needs cooked rice added to her diet to take the place of some of her kibble. I was just cooking up instant white rice for her fresh every day, but am thinking of cooking up a batch of regular brown rice for her, since it's more nutritious, & keeping it in the fridge.

I obviously don't want to poison my dog. How long do you think cooked brown rice would safely last in the fridge in an airtight plastic Rubbermaid container? I don't mind having to make it several times a week if I have to, but am looking for some guidelines so I don't make too much or too little. Dog gets approx. 1-1/2 to 2 cups per day.

Thanks in advance.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
It should be fine for three or four days. You may want to reheat it because long grain rice becomes hard and crunchy when cold.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Breezy, I had to make it for one of my dogs a few years ago. I made enough to last 3 days. Never had a problem with it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Master Chef
You can buy instant brown rice...your dog won't know the difference. Five days is my limit on keeping most foods in the fridge. I'm afraid they'll get "haired over" after that.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Master Chef
4 or 5 days.

You can portion it and freeze it,too, if you are with it enough to make sure to take it out of the freezer the night before. I kept forgetting. Or you could nuke it as needed.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Master Chef
Yeah Constance - I saw the instant brown rice. Just figured the regularly would be healthier since it wasn't precooked.

Thanks guys!

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote