"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Cooking beans for refried beans?

I'm going to be cooking beans in my dutch oven after christmas and I need to know when I throw the cooked ham hocks in the beans?

I will be cooking kidneys beans, and red beans for the re fried beans and there is basically NO salt what so ever in it.

Only salt that will be in the beans would be the ham hocks.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Head Chef

Why kidney beans? I like to use pinto beans. Here are some links that you find useful:
refried beans from scratch - Google Search

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Why kidney beans? I like to use pinto beans. Here are some links that you find useful:
refried beans from scratch - Google Search
Thanks for the link Wyogal, It's a matter of taste really, and I like the kidney beans texture along with red beans, Thats how I made them last time. By the way time I like to add the ham hock, I forgot last time, lol.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Head Chef

Salt inhibits the softening of the beans, but I know folks that add the ham hock at the beginning, anyway. I've also done it separately, cooking the beans until tender, then adding the ham hock and some of the broth that I've simmered the meat in towards the end of cooking.
I've also done refried beans without hamhocks, just simmered the beans with some onion, celery, bay leaf for flavor, then take them out (large chunks), then added some fat (butter), and some cumin towards the end when I mashed the beans and "refried" them.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Master Chef

I'm with Wyogal - all you need is pintos. I, personally, would not use kidney beans - but that's just my personal taste and you can use just about any bean you want. And, I'm one of those those folks who puts the hock in at the beginning, well, actually I simmer the hock for a couple of hours first and then add in my soaked beans. I don't find the amount of salt in the hocks makes much difference done this way.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Head Chef

I really don't like kidney beans at all, the skins are too tough for my liking. I like a more tender red bean, but prefer a pinto. I'd like to try the beans that are with the Mexican foods in our grocery store. They are brown, not really a pinto bean, and a bit more expensive.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Salt inhibits the softening of the beans, but I know folks that add the ham hock at the beginning, anyway. I've also done it separately, cooking the beans until tender, then adding the ham hock and some of the broth that I've simmered the meat in towards the end of cooking.
I've also done refried beans without hamhocks, just simmered the beans with some onion, celery, bay leaf for flavor, then take them out (large chunks), then added some fat (butter), and some cumin towards the end when I mashed the beans and "refried" them.
Quote:
I really don't like kidney beans at all, the skins are too tough for my liking. I like a more tender red bean, but prefer a pinto. I'd like to try the beans that are with the Mexican foods in our grocery store. They are brown, not really a pinto bean, and a bit more expensive.
Thanks guys, What should I do about the salt problem? Sould I leave them in the water longer then normal until they're tender on their own?

I really don't want to add any salt if I have too. Could any other spice make them more tender then salt?

By the way these are for my tomales.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Head Chef

I wouldn't add the ham hocks at all. Use other things for flavor, like cumin, chilies, onion, etc. Then you don't need to worry about the salt at all. Salt does not make beans tender, quite the opposite. Salt just ups the "flavor." Cooking beans until done is what makes them tender, and you only need water for that.
Are they for a tamale filling????

Old 12-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef

It is a myth that salt inhibits tenderness in the cooking of beans. I've always added salt in the beginning and have had no problem with the beans being tender - using OLD beans will keep them tough.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
Head Chef

Interesting site:
Beans : Truth About Food : Discovery Health

Tags
None