Cooking beans with minimal ingredients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don Latch

Assistant Cook
I'm a total beginer and I'm trying to learn what tastes go well by adding them one at a time. I'm also trying to eat healthy and low sodium. And, since I'm cooking mostly for one, I find most recipes frustrating. I just want to learn some ingredient combining basics.

Permit me to mine the database here; this is my first post.

Let me start with beans: what is the simplest way to eat beans? Soak them, simmer them and then add what? What one or two spices or seasonings would one start with; the minimum below which no one would like them. Salt and pepper, sure but I'm eschewing the salt so besides those two what are the basics?

Thanks in advance,

Donald
Richmond Virginia

i understand minimalism, but 'm not sure how or why anyone would want to make something that no one woul like. however, i would use a stock (veggie, chicken, etc.) to simmer the beans. and for an extremely simple addition, i would go with roasted garlic.

you could add just about any other single common herb, like parsley, rosemary, thyme, bay, sage, oregano, etc., and you have a whole new flavor profile.

other additions that don't take too much away from the bean flavor are chopped and wilted greens, or sweated mild onions.

Last edited:
If I just had to add two ingredients to beans (apart from salt and pepper) it would be lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Or ev-oo and a herb, such as parsley.

I know you are trying to go low sodium, but don't go no sodium, at least with beans. In my opinion beans need salt to bring out the flavor. You do not need to use a lot, but you do need some.

I also agree about the salt. You need some salt in food, to improve the taste. That does not mean you should go overboard with it.

I always add some ham to my beans. If you're just cooking one pound of dry beans, soak them overnight, drain, then simmer with about 4 oz or so of ham. I also like to add 1/2 c or so of chopped onions, a bay leaf, and black pepper. I won't add any salt until the beans are done. Then, I taste it, and if it needs any (remember, the ham is salty), I'll add a little.

In Italy you often enjoy white beans seasoned only with sage, evoo and salt. Or rosemary, evoo and salt.

When done correctly, they are sublime, IMO. But many people find them bland and boring.

Allen.. is there a reason not to add salt until the end of cooking time? All my MIL's bean/lentil recipes say add the salt after cooking but, she can't tell me why.

Supposedly if the salt is added early on it makes the beans tough. I have heard this is not true, but just an old wives tale though. This is just hearsay though as I have never cooked beans from scratch before so I have no first hand knowledge.

Adding salt won't toughen the beans. This comes from a bunch of food scientists (eg Shirley and Rbt. Wolke) as well as my too many years of cooking with dry beans.

Like Alton Brown says "if you wait unti they're finished to add the salt they're going to taste like papier-mâché."

Tough beans generally mean the beans were old. The two other contributing factors are acidic ingredients (wine, tomatoes) and hard water.

I buy my beans from http://www.nativeseeds.org/ of Tuscon, AZ. Different varieties and very good. 1# of beans soaked in plenty of water by quick method of bringing to a boil, turn off heat, let stand 1 hr. Drain. Add fresh water, 1 chopped onion, 4 cloves chopped garlic, and 2 TBS olive oil and simmer until soft. Bean variety and dryness of beans determines length of time. Add seasonings of 1 tsp or more cumin to taste and salt if needed.
I frequently add a dried pasilla chile pepper when cooking. Beans cook well in a pressure cooker. I serve with sausage on the side.

I don't like to salt a liquid that I know is going to simmer for a long time, as it can reduce down a bit and concentrate the salt past my tolerance level. Also, addin a LOT of ham (which is what I like) has put so much salt into the beans that I don't need to add any extra.

Well, even though the "toughening" part might be a myth, since I normally cook a smoked turkey thigh with my beans, that's all the salt they need.

This is an extended question from a "not so expert" about dried beans... I use them to line over the puff pastry to avoid excess rising when I precook it.
The beans will get "toasted" in the process, and I hate to throw them away as it seems like such a waste, but I have never been sure if they could be reusable. I tried to soak and cook them the other day like I usually do with normal "untoasted" beans, but they seemed to remain too dry inside. (one thing though, I forgot to add the baking soda while soaking..) Can they be recycled and recooked? If so what kind of additional treatments and considerations need to be taken?

Oh goodness - don't even try to cook & eat beans that you've used to weight down pastry!!!!

But there's no need to waste them, either. I use the same beans over & over & over. Just pour them into a dish & allow them to cool, then keep them in a ziplock bag or jar until the next time you need them. I've been using the same beans for a few years now.

BreezyCooking said:
Oh goodness - don't even try to cook & eat beans that you've used to weight down pastry!!!!

But there's no need to waste them, either. I use the same beans over & over & over. Just pour them into a dish & allow them to cool, then keep them in a ziplock bag or jar until the next time you need them. I've been using the same beans for a few years now.

Ah Breezy... I never thought of reusing it this way!! (I was afraid it may get burnt too much and transcend some funk on the pastry shell...) I will try your method next time!! Thanks so much!!

This comes from the Michigan Bean Commission.

"Under cooking tips:

Add any acid substances, such as lemon juice, vinegar, tomatoes or wine, at the end of cooking time since acid makes beans firm."

It is my understanding that the beans will never completely soften up if the acid ingredient is added before or during cooking. The bean commission does not address salt in this regard.

Which reminds me of a joke.

Has anyone ever tried to cook dried soybeans? You must have this experience to appreciate this joke.

When cooking soybeans, add a sliver of granite. When the granite is tender, the soybeans are done.

Thanks Buckytom. Now I have to ask the basics of a vegie stock...LOL...I'm that novice.

My hat is off to anyone who can call themself a good cook or masterchef. The topic is vast.

DLatch

simple beans

Thanks for posting Swann. Can your simmer, discribed below, be called a vegetable stock?

Swann said:
I buy my beans from http://www.nativeseeds.org/ of Tuscon, AZ. Different varieties and very good. 1# of beans soaked in plenty of water by quick method of bringing to a boil, turn off heat, let stand 1 hr. Drain. Add fresh water, 1 chopped onion, 4 cloves chopped garlic, and 2 TBS olive oil and simmer until soft. Bean variety and dryness of beans determines length of time. Add seasonings of 1 tsp or more cumin to taste and salt if needed.
I frequently add a dried pasilla chile pepper when cooking. Beans cook well in a pressure cooker. I serve with sausage on the side.

simple beans

Good information. I'm learning to taste by adding flavors, basically, one at a time.

Haggis said:
If I just had to add two ingredients to beans (apart from salt and pepper) it would be lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Or ev-oo and a herb, such as parsley.

Back
Top Bottom