"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Senior Cook

velochic, there is a good rice porridge that is good to make out of the last batch of rice. It is called congee. It sounds gross, but you may like it. It's more like a soup that can be thick, thin or medium depending on the amount of water you add. Basically, you boil the rice in any kind of stock or water or both for several hours. Then you add chicken, seafood, pork, or beef. And some thinly sliced nappa cabbage, salt, pepper, soy sauce etc. There are different variations. Let me know if you'd like to try it and I can give you a recipe.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm actually making a Mexican-style soup with leftover Mexican rice to have with dinner tonight.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I'd make up a big pot of jambalaya with quartered and sliced andoioulle sausage and this seafood mix I buy frozen from Trader Joe's with scallops, shrimp, and squid. Then I use the leftovers from that to make stuffed bell peppers. In fact, I HAVE done that, many times, and everyone loves it!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:24 AM   #14
Head Chef

If you want to experiment with your cooked rice, dehydrate it and you will end up with true instant rice and nothing like the stuff on the store shelves. It might open up a whole new realm of possibilities in your recipes.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
Senior Cook

leftover rice + kimchi in jar + fried spam = Kimchi Bokumbop

Mmmmmmmmmm
Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I've made rice pudding with dried cherries, using arborio rice so that it comes out nice and creamy. I can't remember what kind of dairy product I was using, milk, half-and-half, or cream.

Have you tried making brown rice, with raisins, slivered almonds, dried apricots, etc? A little butter, salt, and pepper, and it's yummy.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Boiled Rice Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Velochic, this is going to sound very lame but I don't have a recipe for the boiled rice pudding - it is just one of those things you grow up with being made in the house. Basically it is uncooked rice brought to the boil in milk instead of water with a bit of vanilla. Just like a risotto, the rice absorbs the milk. Part way thru the cooking process and near the end, you add dried fruit (for us it was always sultanas and currants but don't see why you couldn't use other fruits). You don't want it soupy or like a paste but a bit drier than a risotto. Serve it hot in bowls and top with your choice of jam or syrup or even stewed fruits, and milk (we normally use evaporated milk) or cream. Some people like it cold as well but I always preferred it hot. (You can add sugar to the cooking process as well but just be mindful of the sweetness of the dried fruits and the added toppings.)

When my mum returns from visiting my brother, I will ask her for anything that I missed and see if she recalls the quantities and will repost if I do but we both tend to remember these sort of recipes when we make them rather than off the cuff! It would be pretty close though.
I did check with my mother and the only clarifications she added was to add the dried fruit and some sugar about a minute or less before serving.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I cook rice and use it to stuff cornish hens or chicken along with chopped broccoli, feta cheese and black olives. It comes out pretty good.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
Senior Cook

you can do different varieties of Rice for different flavors too..
Old 06-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #20
Cook

Baja Fried Rice

I came up with a Fried Recipe that I call Baja Fried Rice. It is very tasty and a nice variation to the standard Mexican or Spanish rice. If you would like to see the recipe it is in my signature link. I think it is about the fourth recipe down the page...

I have had a lot of requests for that recipe, so it must be good!

Tags
None