"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrave View Post
I've never tried the steel-cut (whole grain) oatmeal, but if I did, I'd probably go for the quicker cooking product. McCann's makes a "Quick and Easy Irish Oatmeal" that reduces the cooking time from 30 to 5 minutes.

I'll take the loss in nutritional value for the sake of convenience, provided of course that the stuff is noticeably more satisfying than rolled oats. Anyone tried it?
I've used both McCann's products...the regular steel cut and the quick cooking. The regular steel cut is a superior product, but the quick cooking is not bad and superior to anything that Quaker makes. I have not tried the instant McCann's and never will.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I've used both McCann's products...the regular steel cut and the quick cooking. The regular steel cut is a superior product, but the quick cooking is not bad and superior to anything that Quaker makes. I have not tried the instant McCann's and never will.
I'm convinced, giving "quick and easy" McCann's is worth a try. I'm a sucker for convenience, frankly. Like, I use Betty Crocker mix for my corn muffins. Purists may cringe, but that's just me

BTW, I notice that Quaker has come out with a regular steel-cut oats of their own. The whole-grain trend is a growing one, I guess.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrave View Post
...BTW, I notice that Quaker has come out with a regular steel-cut oats of their own. The whole-grain trend is a growing one, I guess.

Not to mention the money to be made from it.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I cook steel cut oats almost every morning! I use 1/4 cup dry oats with 1 1/2 cups water and cook for about 25ish minutes. My favorite thing for brekkie!
Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
Head Chef

I hated oatmeal until I tried steel cut oats. I haven't tried toasting them yet--next batch I will.

Yep, they take longer to cook, but I do them while I wash the supper dishes, and I cook enough for 3 or 4 days, reheating in the microwave in the morning.

Try them with maple syrup.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

OK, I bought a box of McCann's (quick version), tried it this morning, and my conclusion is: good, marginally better than rolled, but not nearly enough to justify the difference in price.

I'll have to try the regular steel-cut someday, of course. From all that's been posted here, the extra cooking time appears to be worth it, even if it means getting up a half-hour or so earlier to make breakfast.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Don't limit yourself to just breakfast. Have some nice steel cut for lunch or dinner. That way you can sleep in
Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Don't limit yourself to just breakfast. Have some nice steel cut for lunch or dinner. That way you can sleep in
Oatmeal for dinner would be a new trick for an old dog. Now grits, that's another thing. Eggs, hash browns, and a side of grits, that's a dinner breakfast if there's going to be one.

Anyway, it wouldn't hurt me to get up a bit earlier. Maybe even make a batch of biscuits or corn muffins while the oatmeal cooks
Old 12-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
What a lovely idea to toast the oat meal. Leave it to Martha. We eat lots of oatmeal here at our house. I pop it into an oversize glass bowl (2to 1 water to oats) a little salt, a handful of dried cherries, a few snips of candied ginger and maybe some dried cranberries. I let it cook for 6 min.while we start the fire and tend to the animals. Then I serve it with a handful of toasted walnuts, and a couple tablespoons of ground flax seeds. What could be more delicious. Sometimes I do the same thing with Red River Cereal or Pettijohns. I put a little cream on mine, but hubby likes it just plain.
When the kids were little (30 years ago) I put the oatmeal in the crock pot with raisins before bed and they helped themselves in the morning.It was like the old method of putting it on the back of the woodstove overnight. MMMMM.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:19 AM   #20
Head Chef

The long cook oats I have found to taste significantly better than any "instant" or "fast" oatmeal. Good Steel cut is the best!
Alton Browns recipe is the best!!!!

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup steel cut oats
3 cups boiling water
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

In a large saucepot, melt the butter and add the oats. Stir for 2 minutes to toast. Add the boiling water and reduce heat to a simmer. Keep at a low simmer for 25 minutes, without stirring. Combine the milk and half of the buttermilk with the oatmeal. Stir gently to combine and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with remaining buttermilk, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

Tags
None