Cooking quinoa in a rice cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
Is it possible to cook quinoa in a rice cooker? I am really into things that you can "set and forget", so to speak. Also rice cookers, if using the same weight of quinoa and water should produce pretty close to the same results in about the same time, every time.

Sure can. I use the 2:1 ratio of water to quinoa. I let mine sit in cold water for about 15 minutes and then drain. Then "toast" it lightly, in the rice cooker, before adding the water (or broth) to cook.

Last edited:
My cooker doesn't have settings. I just add the correct level of grain-to-water and let it go.

If it did have settings, I'd use the one for white rice because they use the same ratio and cook in similar amounts of time.

Have you ever tried putting milk in your rice cooker with the quiinoa? I have seen a couple of recipes that require this.

Loved that ad! :LOL:

I don't have a rice cooker so can't comment on that, but I do love quinoa and always have this kind in the pantry. It's pre-rinsed. It's so easy to make in just a regular saucepan. I reduce the amount of water by about a quarter cup per cup of quinoa, and also reduce the cooking time by several minutes less than what the package calls for, because by the time you turn off the heat and let it sit for a few, it's done. :)

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 236
A recent quinoa salad with whatever veggies I had in the fridge, and a simple olive oil and lemon juice dressing. Deelish. You can do so many things with quinoa during these winter months....add them to soups, chili, etc. :)

Attachments

• 007 (2).jpg
    007 (2).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 251
Back
Top Bottom