"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Another way to cook rice is to put rice in a baking pan pour in boiling water cover tightly with foil and bake in a preheated oven 350 degrees Im not sure how long I think it's 45 minutes.
Also consider that when you rinse rice with water you need to cut back the cooking liquid a little that you add to rice as it has a certain amount liquid on the rice after you rinsed it,so it may have more moisture then you want possibly making it gummy.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrythurgood
Oh go on Alix - lifting the lid makes it all go puddingy? Wow!
It was only a small peak - alright, I might have peaked more than once...

The problem is once you've failed at cooking rice, the need to look at it cooking is amplified.

Why does not raising the lid make such a difference?

Barry
I don't know if you have the same type of mesuring cups as I do, but I have a 2 cup /500 ml mesuring cup. I one side you see the fraction of a cup that you have and on the other side you have milliliters. So using a ration of 2:1 as my base I mesure out 2 cups of water. Then I mesure out 250 ml of rice, rince and drain. Wait for the water to boil. Through in rice, put on cover. Turn down heat to low simmer (not too low, the setting is about 2 on the dial, although I don't have gas... Excuse me, I have gas from time to time, but my stove doen't).

Now the reason I went to the trouble of explaining the cups and metric mesurments is that 2 cups if slighty shy of 500 ml, which brings down the ratio of water to rice by a smigin (this is a very high tech mesurement that most people know nothing about ). I find that this helps a lot in assuring that my rice comes out nice and light. I use basmati white usually.

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
The method of cooking rice depends on the type of rice and what texture you are expecting.

Short grained rice have more starch and cook up mushier than whole grain (jasmine or basmati) rice.

I am a big fan of long grain rice but here is another basic method to get any kind of rice cooked fluffy and not mushy.

2 cups of rice in a saute pan. Rinse it with cold water. I do mine like ten times. You add water to the pan, stir in the rice almost massage it and then drain the water. Do this approx 10 times.

Now add 4 cups of water to the rice (same pan). Add a tiny bit of oil (1 tsp) or you can add some butter and bring it to a boil. Don't cover it initially until it comes to a boil. Throw in a pinch of salt. Stir the rice once, reduce the heat to low, Cover and let it steam for 20 minutes or so. Rice will be done

Another way to cook rice is using the method you do with pasta. I like to make pilaus which are layered with chicken or veggies and this method is my favorite to cook basmati rice.

You wash the rice (2 cups or however much) once or twice, rinse and reserve.

In a large pot, add 10 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Hit the water with some salt. Add the rinsed rice and let the rice cook rapidly in boiling water. In 10 minutes, check the grain of the rice to ensure it's cooked. Drain the water along with the rice in a colander.

The rice that will be left in the colander will be nice and fluffy and every strand will be seperate. I normally season this rice with some butter, garlic and whole cumin seeds and serve it with dahl or curry.

Thanks, that's a keeper

Aad Sach Sing

- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
Old 04-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteraznchefjr
goopy eh lol turn that to chinese rice gruel , add some preserved 1000 year old eggs and cilantro and little porc bits and theres a meal there and don't forget a little soy sauce paste.

I think you call that a congi or something like that. I believe it is a thine oriental soup???

Aad Sach Sing

Old 04-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

What is "wholemeal rice". Use Uncle Ben's. 2 1/2C water to 1C rice. Put rice in boiling water, mix, cover and cook 20 minutes. Otherwise follow the directions on the rice you are using.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #26
Senior Cook

I just made some rice yesterday and I eat only brown rice
2 and 1/4 cups of water brought to a boil add 1 cup of rinsed brown rice bring to a boil again (you can stir it until it boils) lower the heat cover it and simmer it for 45 minutes, remove from the heat still covered set it rest covered for 10 minutes, uncover and stir, dump it into a bowl and voila.perfect.

Diane
Diane1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
i absolutely can not get "minute" style rice to work - always ended up in that mushy soggy mess eeeew. so first tip for rice is always use good rice.

the suggestion to get a rice cooker is A+++. i totally love mine, and it was a cheap-o from walmart, so it didn't set me back any more than $25, and it's held up great for about 7 years now. came with a little book from "yan can cook" that i promptly never used. all i have to do with the cooker, which i've found to work great with any kind of rice including packaged mixes, is toss in the rice (rinse a couple times for plain rices) and add water to about 1.5cm more than top of rice level. push button, don't peek, walk away. poof, perfect rice. the only consequence if i boo-boo on water level is having to get the baked-on bits off the bottom of the pot.

Tags
None