Cream of Wheat my way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Sorry, this really is more about the cream of wheat rather than the beef, but I just was not sure what forum to put this in.

To say that I hate the cream of wheat in its original form, per recipe on the box, is like to say nothing. I hate it with passion. Doesn’t mean I do not eat it. The other day, before I end up in the emergency room with my kidney stones, I had make plans to make pierogies and specifically for that reason made a simple beef stew (pictures below). Of course after I spent 2 days plus in the hospital, pierogies were not on my mind. It took other couple-tree days for me to remember that I had meat seating in the refrigerator and that it was going to go bad. My youngest loves cream of wheat, (hm maybe I should have DNA checked to see if she is mine, she looks nothing like me :LOL: ;)), so I decided to borrow some.

This I s what you do:
1 cup of water or the soup, I used liquid from stew, that is the best
1 cup of cream of wheat
Salt and pepper to taste.

Sauté the cream of wheat in a dry pan until it is somewhat golden/brownish. Bring the liquid to boil, add salt and pepper, poor the cream of wheat into the pot, be careful it will be splashing all over. Do it over the sink, or maybe even turn of water couple minutes before. Stir well, cook per box instruction. I usually buy 1 or 2 minutes ready kind. Taste for salt/pepper, stir few times. Done. Serve as a side dish.

Attachments

• 20140321_130812[1].jpg
    20140321_130812[1].jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 374
  • 20140321_130833[1].jpg
    20140321_130833[1].jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 20140321_131258[1].jpg
    20140321_131258[1].jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 20140321_131641[1].jpg
    20140321_131641[1].jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 20140321_132507[1].jpg
    20140321_132507[1].jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 250
Darn, why are the pictures up side down? Can somebody teach me how to fix this, please?
Were they right way up on your computer? What software do you use to look at the pix? Some of it figures it out and shows it to you right way up.

I use IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide. It shows it to me the way it is saved. If it is sideways or upside down, I tell Irfanview to turn it, until it is right. Then I save the file. When it uploads, it's the right way. Irfanview is free.

Sounds good, Charlie! Good idea using the beef broth for the liquid. I often use broth or stock to make rice, but hadn't thought to use it in Cream of Wheat. I sometimes get a package or two of farina (same thing) in my commodity box that I get each month.

I guess we're not related because I really like the stuff. I usually serve mine with butter, garlic powder and dill - savory style.

Last edited:
Were they right way up on your computer? What software do you use to look at the pix? Some of it figures it out and shows it to you right way up.

I use IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide. It shows it to me the way it is saved. If it is sideways or upside down, I tell Irfanview to turn it, until it is right. Then I save the file. When it uploads, it's the right way. Irfanview is free.

They all should be turn 90 degrees clockwise. I uploaded them right from my phone. They looked right when I was looking at them on the PC.

P.S. the cream of wheat this way comes out really dry.

I wondered about that. The farina instructions are for 3 TBS of farina per 1 cup water.

I wondered about that. The farina instructions are for 3 TBS of farina per 1 cup water.

Exactly, I hate the original recipe. But love the dry kind. It is not dry so you cannot eat, it is just right. Strongly recommend to try it. :chef:

P.S. BTW, thank you for moving the thread into more appropriate forum.

My ex found an East Indian recipe for a dessert that used cream of wheat. It came out firm and wonderful.

They all should be turn 90 degrees clockwise. I uploaded them right from my phone. They looked right when I was looking at them on the PC...
I've had that happen with photos uploaded directly from my phone to FaceBook. What software are you using on your PC to look at the pix?

Well, I'm back home. Surgery went well. There was only one problem. They could not wake me up from anastesia (SP?). so there was just a little bit of excitment in recovery room. Took them, oh about 2 or 3 extra hours. You can imagine how my wife was feeling during that time. Thank G-d I am OK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Well, I'm back home. Surgery went well. There was only one problem. They could not wake me up from anastesia (SP?). so there was just a little bit of excitment in recovery room. Took them, oh about 2 or 3 extra hours. You can imagine how my wife was feeling during that time. Thank G-d I am OK.

Yeah, that would add some unwanted excitement. Glad to read that you are doing well.

That must have been scary. :ohmy: So glad to hear the procedure is done. Hoping for a speedy recovery, Charlie. :)

Oh dear! Well, you've been working too hard and apparently needed the extra sleep.

Glad to have you back, Charlie!

Him. How did I manage to put this in the wrong thread?,Admin, can you please move that. Is it even possible toove only few posts?

CharlieD---- glad you're o.k. now. And wrong thread or not----it's good to hear from you.

Back
Top Bottom