"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Master Chef

Cream of Wheat my way

Sorry, this really is more about the cream of wheat rather than the beef, but I just was not sure what forum to put this in.

To say that I hate the cream of wheat in its original form, per recipe on the box, is like to say nothing. I hate it with passion. Doesn’t mean I do not eat it. The other day, before I end up in the emergency room with my kidney stones, I had make plans to make pierogies and specifically for that reason made a simple beef stew (pictures below). Of course after I spent 2 days plus in the hospital, pierogies were not on my mind. It took other couple-tree days for me to remember that I had meat seating in the refrigerator and that it was going to go bad. My youngest loves cream of wheat, (hm maybe I should have DNA checked to see if she is mine, she looks nothing like me ), so I decided to borrow some.

This I s what you do:
1 cup of water or the soup, I used liquid from stew, that is the best
1 cup of cream of wheat
Salt and pepper to taste.

Sauté the cream of wheat in a dry pan until it is somewhat golden/brownish. Bring the liquid to boil, add salt and pepper, poor the cream of wheat into the pot, be careful it will be splashing all over. Do it over the sink, or maybe even turn of water couple minutes before. Stir well, cook per box instruction. I usually buy 1 or 2 minutes ready kind. Taste for salt/pepper, stir few times. Done. Serve as a side dish.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140321_130812[1].jpg
Views:	219
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	21031   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140321_130833[1].jpg
Views:	133
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	21032  

Name:	20140321_131258[1].jpg
Views:	130
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	21033   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140321_131641[1].jpg
Views:	129
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	21034  

Name:	20140321_132507[1].jpg
Views:	148
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	21035  

Old 03-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Master Chef

Darn, why are the pictures up side down? Can somebody teach me how to fix this, please?

Old 03-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Darn, why are the pictures up side down? Can somebody teach me how to fix this, please?
Were they right way up on your computer? What software do you use to look at the pix? Some of it figures it out and shows it to you right way up.

I use IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide. It shows it to me the way it is saved. If it is sideways or upside down, I tell Irfanview to turn it, until it is right. Then I save the file. When it uploads, it's the right way. Irfanview is free.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds good, Charlie! Good idea using the beef broth for the liquid. I often use broth or stock to make rice, but hadn't thought to use it in Cream of Wheat. I sometimes get a package or two of farina (same thing) in my commodity box that I get each month.

I guess we're not related because I really like the stuff. I usually serve mine with butter, garlic powder and dill - savory style.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Were they right way up on your computer? What software do you use to look at the pix? Some of it figures it out and shows it to you right way up.

I use IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide. It shows it to me the way it is saved. If it is sideways or upside down, I tell Irfanview to turn it, until it is right. Then I save the file. When it uploads, it's the right way. Irfanview is free.
They all should be turn 90 degrees clockwise. I uploaded them right from my phone. They looked right when I was looking at them on the PC.

P.S. the cream of wheat this way comes out really dry.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I wondered about that. The farina instructions are for 3 TBS of farina per 1 cup water.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I wondered about that. The farina instructions are for 3 TBS of farina per 1 cup water.

Exactly, I hate the original recipe. But love the dry kind. It is not dry so you cannot eat, it is just right. Strongly recommend to try it.

P.S. BTW, thank you for moving the thread into more appropriate forum.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

My ex found an East Indian recipe for a dessert that used cream of wheat. It came out firm and wonderful.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
They all should be turn 90 degrees clockwise. I uploaded them right from my phone. They looked right when I was looking at them on the PC...
I've had that happen with photos uploaded directly from my phone to FaceBook. What software are you using on your PC to look at the pix?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What software are you using on your PC to look at the pix?
Not sure. I just open them.

Tags
beef and cream of wheat, cream, recipe, wheat

Cream of Wheat my way Sorry, this really is more about the cream of wheat rather than the beef, but I just was not sure what forum to put this in. To say that I hate the cream of wheat in its original form, per recipe on the box, is like to say nothing. I hate it with passion. Doesn’t mean I do not eat it. The other day, before I end up in the emergency room with my kidney stones, I had make plans to make pierogies and specifically for that reason made a simple beef stew (pictures below). Of course after I spent 2 days plus in the hospital, pierogies were not on my mind. It took other couple-tree days for me to remember that I had meat seating in the refrigerator and that it was going to go bad. My youngest loves cream of wheat, (hm maybe I should have DNA checked to see if she is mine, she looks nothing like me :lol: :wink:), so I decided to borrow some. This I s what you do: 1 cup of water or the soup, I used liquid from stew, that is the best 1 cup of cream of wheat Salt and pepper to taste. Sauté the cream of wheat in a dry pan until it is somewhat golden/brownish. Bring the liquid to boil, add salt and pepper, poor the cream of wheat into the pot, be careful it will be splashing all over. Do it over the sink, or maybe even turn of water couple minutes before. Stir well, cook per box instruction. I usually buy 1 or 2 minutes ready kind. Taste for salt/pepper, stir few times. Done. Serve as a side dish. 3 stars 1 reviews