"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cream sauce for pasta

hi i have some salmon fillets so was thinking of having them on a bed of taligatelle and spinach with a cream sauce for the pasta

Any nice recipes for the cream sauce.

Cheers

Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I usually just make a pan cream sauce using the leftover fond, white wine, shallot and herbs for flavoring. Add the pasta to soak up some of the sauce and simmer to thicken. You need lots of flavor to balance out the blandness of the cream. Some parm helps too.

In situations like this, it's been easier for me to pick up a Knoors sauce packet. They usually have the flavor I'm looking for.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
you could make a basic bechamel, or you could just reduce the cream with some finely chopped garlic and herbs in it.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Senior Cook

any recipes for a great bechemel sauce
Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Here's what I was doing for a seafood cream sauce for Halibut on the Summer menu. Pan-sear the halibut. When the fish was flipped, add some diced shrimp to the pan, and place the pan in the salamander to finising cooking. When the fish was "almost" done, remove from the pan and place under the heat lamp to keep warm and finish cooking. With the shrimp still in the pan, place it back over heat. Deglaze with a shot of white wine and shot of shrimp stock. Add cream. Bring to a boil, and season TT with S&P. Pour the sauce around the fish in the bowl.

Note that this particular sauce isn't reduced, nor is it thickened. Shortly after we started running that menu, my relief saute cook made an order, and reduced the sauce down heavily, like for an alfredo sauce. The member that ordered that dish LOVED it, but got really hacked the next day when I made it the way it was "supposed" to be made, and he didn't like the thin sauce.

Maybe a dill cream sauce would work? Pan-sear the salmon, flip, finish in a broiler, remove the fish when done, add some shallots and caramelize lightly, deglaze with white wine and/or fish/shrimp stock, add some cream, and just a wee little bit of dill. Reduce to desired consistency. Season TT with S&P.

Tags
None