"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Creamy Carbonara

Hi,
I made my usual Carbonara style dish last night but can never seem to get it like the restaurants do. Also, all the internet recipes seem to be the same. My Version is below. Could fry bacon in olive oil & garlic...and I know I could always add more cream (maybe they mix garlic sauce & cream to add?)
Can someone give any tips?

Thanks
Andy

Carbonara, Andy Style
Grill Bacon, Cook Pasta. Fry sliced mushrooms with garlic and butter, gently. Wisk double cream and eggs plus parmesan, plus season. Drain Spaghetti, add small bit butter to pan, then add egg mix, stirring. Add Bacon

Old 11-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhome View Post
Hi,
I made my usual Carbonara style dish last night but can never seem to get it like the restaurants do. Also, all the internet recipes seem to be the same. My Version is below. Could fry bacon in olive oil & garlic...and I know I could always add more cream (maybe they mix garlic sauce & cream to add?)
Can someone give any tips?

Thanks
Andy

Carbonara, Andy Style
Grill Bacon, Cook Pasta. Fry sliced mushrooms with garlic and butter, gently. Wisk double cream and eggs plus parmesan, plus season. Drain Spaghetti, add small bit butter to pan, then add egg mix, stirring. Add Bacon
Real Carbonara doesn't contain any cream or butter. The eggs should add enough creaminess and richness. The addition of cream makes the dish gummy and heavy. Carbonara should not be a cream based sauce. You also need to render the bacon in the pan. The fat from the bacon adds flavor and depth to the dish. Then, you don't need to add butter. What you're doing is basically adding bacon bits. Try using pancetta or guanciale if you can find it.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Master Chef

Ironchef is right on.

Carbonara doesn't use cream but does rely on bacon fat for richness and flavor.

To make it you first render your bacon in a skillet. Soften onions or leeks if you want to. Remove bacon and crumble.

Boil the pasta.

While pasta is cooking combine raw eggs and cheese thoroghly but don't overbeat.

Drain pasta -- save some of the cooking water. IF you are using frozen peas, add them right before draining pasta.

Add pasta to skillet with drippings. Add egg mixture and pasta water. Stir to combine. Some people temper the eggs with the water.

Add bacon back in.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
Head Chef

If you use the pasta right away and have saved some of the boiling water, you shouldn't have to temper the eggs if you are fast enough.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Carbonara can be made with or without cream. Both styles are completely authentic. I prefer creamy carbonara also. For a good recipe using cream, check out Giada De Laurentis' recipe on food network.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
Carbonara can be made with or without cream. Both styles are completely authentic. I prefer creamy carbonara also. For a good recipe using cream, check out Giada De Laurentis' recipe on food network.
Of course you can add cream if you wish to, but I will entirely disagree with you about cream being "completely authentic." Pasta with bacon and eggs is not made with cream in Italy. The cheese and the egg yolks give it it's rich and silky texture.

Cream is fine, but it's an American variation, IMO.

Here is Marcella Hazan's recipe and it's good and easy: Recipe 157958 --- Marcella Hazan's Spaghetti Carbonara: Main Dish Pasta
Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Of course you can add cream if you wish to, but I will entirely disagree with you about cream being "completely authentic." Pasta with bacon and eggs is not made with cream in Italy. The cheese and the egg yolks give it it's rich and silky texture.

Cream is fine, but it's an American variation, IMO.

Here is Marcella Hazan's recipe and it's good and easy: Recipe 157958 --- Marcella Hazan's Spaghetti Carbonara: Main Dish Pasta

I'm with you all the way on the cream not being authentic. No genuine Italian recipe I've ever seen for Carbonara sauce uses cream. The creaminess comes from scrambling the eggs with the parmesan cheese and just as you drain the pasta drizzle this mixture into the hot pasta while mixing. This will give a silky texture to the sauce. You have to do this immediately while the pasta is very hot so it "cooks" the eggs.

Done right, this is one of the best pasta sauces you can eat. And if you want to add cream that's your choice of course. The eggs, parmesan cheese and bacon or pancetta give this sauce a very rich flavor. The cream makes it a little too rich.

As a side note, while several of us were in Boston recently we ate at an Italian Restuarant. Three of us ordered Pasta Carbonara and it was served with a raw egg laying on the top of the pasta. None of us could believe it. What were they thinking? It was very unapplealing.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
As a side note, while several of us were in Boston recently we ate at an Italian Restuarant. Three of us ordered Pasta Carbonara and it was served with a raw egg laying on the top of the pasta. None of us could believe it. What were they thinking? It was very unapplealing.

gross. where was this?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Apparently carbonara isn't usually made with cream in Italy. However, in the US (and in Costa Rica, where I now live) cream is commonly used. I prefer the version with cream.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
gross. where was this?
It was Croma on Newberry Street.

Tags
None