Deep Fried Rice Balls, do the egg yolks matter ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I have a patient who makes and brings in her Italian Deep Fried Rice Balls for us at the office. Finally, someone asked her for the recipe. SHe gave a basic recipe/ list of ingredients. I will attempt to make them , but the ingredients call for 2 egg yolks. For some reason, egg yolks kinda skeevs me a little ( dont know why) so I was wondering if I can just leave them out. DO they add to the consistency? Flavor? Binder? .....

Here are the list of ingredients.
16oz ricotta
parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese
parsley
salt/ pepper
2 egg yolks
Long grain rice cooked and dried

Mix all together and make balls out of them

Whip egg whites.
Dip the balls in egg whites
then roll in bread crumbs
deep fry

So again, what purpose do the egg yolks have in this recipe? And would it make much of a difference if I left them out?

I would think they contribute to the binding. Not sure what else you can use, someone else probably does though.

I'd put them in, Larry. Almost all of the recipes for arancini I've seen use the eggs in the rice mixture.

I LOVE to eat these things, but have never tried making them. Good luck! YUM!

Lee

The yolks bind the rice ball together. Without it, you may end up with flavored rice spread over the bottom of your fryer.

If you're interested Larry (or anyone) I have a lighter, baked version, whites only.
Not as great as fried but it works in a pinch!

imho, arancini are not an everyday food for me. If I'm going to eat them, I want them done "right." Not a "light" version. :ermm:

it's from a cookbook I'll have to PM it...
hopefully I stil have a copy from what I sent to larry so I dont have to type it again!!!
Larry, did you make them yet?

Arancini or suppli are the best way to utilize the leftover risotto from the previous day. We make risotto with carnaroli rice and it gets sticky enough to hold themselves together, then a piece of mozzarella in the centre will help as another binder. There is no need for eggs in the mixture though we do use some beaten eggs for the coating.

LOL Larry!!! I have this one tooth that...... :) kidding.
Do you still have a copy of it in your PM's?
If so could you forward it to GrantsKat I deleted it. Oops.

Back
Top Bottom