"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If you read the article, you'd have the answers to those questions. The scientists are a graduate student in Sri Lanka and his mentor, a professor. The article describes their experiment and the theory behind it. Cooking the rice with oil and then chilling it turns some of the digestible starch into indigestible starch; since it can't be digested, it, and its calories, aren't absorbed by the body. It makes sense to me.
I did read the article. And one third world graduate student and one professor do not a summer make (to misquote an old saying).

Amongst all the twaddle masquerading as "fact" about this on the internet I can find no serious and extensive research that confirms this. If you can, please direct me there.

Or perhaps the moon really is made of green cheese!

Old 04-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I agree - interesting.

The article says this:

I have usually started rice in cold water so this is a radical departure and precludes using a rice cooker.

Routinely I toast brown rice in a little oil before adding water, but again cold water is used.

The bit about chilling the rice is useful for making fried rice (which I rarely do) but not entirely practical for other application.

Do you think the coconut oil would impact flavor?
Yes, I thought that and then when I was ploughing through all the stuff on the internet that advocates this, I read that when you reheat it it regains it's "bad" starch.

So what's the point?

Old 04-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It will be interesting to hear what the rest of the scientific community thinks of this research.
Here, here!

Tags
cook, cooking, other, rice