"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #11
Master Chef

thanks crewsk sounds good. Hubby isn't one to eat spinach but I think I'll try it out on him and see if he notices

Old 10-24-2004, 09:24 PM   #12

Another thought for you Sizz, this one a really lazy way of making a lasagna...that kicks some serious butt in the flavour department...

Spray down your cake tin/ lasagna pan with some olive oil...

Using scissors to "cut to fit" arrange one layer of dry (YES! DRY!) lasagna noodles (ever try the spinach ones, that are green?)

On top of this, a mixture of finely sliced and diced green pepper, ricotta cheese (okay, if you can't find ricotta, you can still use dry curd cottage cheese, but ricotta is better), about a tablespoon of minced garlic, a bout 1/3 of a stalk of very finely sliced celery, and some fried and drained ground beef...best to mix this up separately, so you can just ladle it in and spread it around...

Top this with a layer of your favourite spaghetti sauce; lets go with Classico Sicilia with Italian Sausage, mixed with a small can of tomato paste, not being TOO generous, here...

Cover this with a layer of thinly sliced pizza pepperoni slices, and subsequently cover entirely with provolone cheese...

Repeat this process until you have at least three layers (alternating the layout of your DRY lasagna noodles each time)

Cover the top with whatever remains of your spaghetti sauce, then cover again with provolone, and the bagged Kraft shredded Italian cheese mix...

Cover with tinfoil, and insert in 375 oven for 30 minutes...

Remove tinfoil (carefully! You wanted to put it on tautly, so it didn't sag into the chease and pull the whole "head" of your recipe!

Return it to the oven, and cook another 20 minutes or so, until the cheese starts to crust up...

Remove and allow to sit for 20 minutes or so...

The noodles absorb the moisture from the ingredients, with the cheese acting as a "seal", and are fully cooked (providing you remember to cover them all!), thus eliminating that PITA factor of separately cooking and removing hot lasagna noodles from the pot (making this easiest to make, but we won't tell the eaters that...just keep it our little secret, eh?)

The pepperoni just rocks the house for flavour, and this particular sauce is enough to give a little "zing" of its own...

as Debbie "did" dallas, so does "lifter" "do" lasagna...

Lifter

Old 10-25-2004, 02:07 AM   #13
Master Chef

Sounds awesome Lifter..........thanks!
Old 10-31-2004, 04:37 PM   #14
Head Chef

Here are a few of my favorites:

Fettuccine with Cheese Sauce

12 oz. fettuccine pasta
2 cups frozen green peas
1 lb. shrimp, cooked
2 t. minced garlic
5 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves
1 1/4 cup bottles alfredo sauce. I don't like the Ragu brand.
1/3 cup milk
1 pt. cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half

Cook pasta as package directs. Put frozen peas in a colander and set in sink. While pasta cooks, coat in a large skillet with nonstick spray. Heat over med-low and add garlic and cook 1 minute until soft, don't brown when garlic gets brown it gets bitter. Stir in spinach, cook until wilted. Stir in alfredo sauce and milk. Cook 1-2 minutes to heat.
Drain pasta over peas in colander put in large bowl. Add shrimp to spinach mixture heat them through in the diah and add mixture to pasta and peas stir. Top with tomatoes.

Mediterranean Pasta

3 T. olive oil
1 lb. skinless boneless chicken breasts, sliced diangonally
1 (8.5oz.) jar sun-dried tomatoes, julienned and drained
2 T. garlic, minced
1 lb. fresh angel hair pasta (I use dried)
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 (8.5oz) can artichoke hearts in water quartered and drained
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 t. dried oregano
salt and pepper

Boil water for pasta. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken strips until no longer pink- about 3 minutes each sied. Add sun dried tomatoes and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. In the meantime add the pasta to boiling water.

Now add the basil, artichokes, olives and feta cheese to the skillet. Saute 1 minute then stir in the cream. Strain the pasta and transfer to serving bowl. Add the chicken saute to the pasta and toss. Season with oregano and salt and pepper.

Pasta with Tuna Cilantro Cream

I know this sounds a little strange, but trust me if you like tuna and cilantro these 2 go very well together. My boyfriend asks for it all the time.

500 ml heavy cream
2 cans of tuna in water, drained
1/2, 3/4 chopped white onion
fresh cilantro
2 roma tomatoes, chopped

Saute onion in just a few drops of oil until tender. Add cream and bring to a boil. Bring down to a simmer and add tuna and cilantro. Use your best judgement on the cilantro it can be a little over bearing, but you can always add in more as you go. Maybe start with 5 large pinches. Simmer for 5 minutes. Turn sauce down to just about low. Start to cook pasta. Now just about the time the pasta is done add the tomato to the pasta with a little salt and pepper to taste. Strain pasta and add to sauce. Simmer together for a few minutes to let pasta absorb the flavors. Sometimes I will add the tomato on top of the pasta after it is already on the plate if I want for of the tomato flavor.

Michael's Delightful Dish

1 lb. gound beef
Dash garlic salt
Dash pepper
1 T. sugar
2 (8oz.) cans tomato sauce
1 (5-8oz.) package noodles -again I like the shells or penne. Any type that will hold the sauce
1/4 to 1/3 cup onion, chopped
1 (8oz.) carton sour cream
1 (3oz.) package cream cheese
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated

Brown beef and pour off excess fat. Add garlic salt, pepper, sugar and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. In the meantime, cook noodles according to package directions. While sauce and noodles are cooking, blend ( I beat) onion, sour cream, and cream cheese. Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish with butter and then make alternate layers of noodles, meat sauce, sour cream mixture and grated cheese, ending with cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:40 PM   #15
Master Chef

Penne with Mushrooms, Sausage, Fennel and Gorgonzola Cheese

1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic -- chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms -- sliced
2 tablespoons fresh basil -- chopped or
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 tablespoons fresh oregano -- chopped or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
3/4 pound penne -- (or other tubular-- pasta)
8 oz. Italian sausage chopped
1/2 cup chopped fennel
1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese -- crumbled
1/2 cup heavy cream

Heat olive oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add mushrooms; sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add fennel sauté 2 min. Add sausage sauté 4 min. Add cream, basil and oregano and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about5 minutes. (Can be made 2 hours ahead, let stand at room temperature.) Cook penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Add pasta and cooking liquid to sauce in skillet. Toss over medium heat until mixture is heated through and sauce coats pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer pasta to bowl. Sprinkle with Gorgonzola cheese toss and serve.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:01 PM   #16
Master Chef

Thanks everyone.....they all sound delicious and I can't wait to try them. :D

Tags
None