"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-17-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
Master Chef

Do you love pasta with sauces?

I love almost any pasta dish with a sauce on it. The only thing I can say I don't care for with pasta is artichoke.....because I don't like the taste of the artichoke.
I would like to add to my pasta file...........please share your favorite dishes and please tell me what you would serve along with it.
I know there are several of you out there that love italian dishes......please share.

Old 10-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Executive Chef

This came from Sara Moulton on FoodTV - it is absolutely scrumptious!

Asparagus Lasagna
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
4 pounds medium asparagus, trimmed
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, heated
1/2 cup water, heated
7 ounces mild goat cheese, such as Montrachet
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest, or to taste
6 (7 by 6 1/4-inch) sheets instant (no-boil) lasagna
1 2/3 cups freshly grated Parmesan
1 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Cut the tips off each asparagus spear and reserve them. Cut the stalks of asparagus into 1/2-inch lengths.

In each of 2 large shallow baking pans toss half the asparagus stalks with half the oil, and salt to taste coating them well, and roast them, shaking the pans every few minutes, until they are crisp-tender, about 5 to 10 minutes. Set them aside. Lower oven temperature to 400 degrees F.

In a saucepan melt the butter, add the flour, and cook the roux over moderately low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the broth and the water in a stream, whisking, simmer the mixture for 5 minutes, and whisk in the goat cheese, zest, and salt, to taste, whisking until the sauce is smooth.

Arrange 1 sheet of pasta in each of buttered 9 by 13-inch baking dishes, and spread each sheet with 1/4 of the sauce. Top the sauce in each dish with 1/4 of the reserved roasted asparagus, and sprinkle the asparagus with 1/3 cup of the Parmesan. Continue to layer the pasta, sauce, asparagus, and Parmesan in the same manner, ending with a sheet of pasta.

In a bowl beat the cream with a pinch of salt until it holds soft peaks. Arrange the reserved asparagus tips on the pasta, spoon the cream over the pasta and the asparagus tips, spreading it with the back of a spoon, and sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan on top.

Bake the lasagna in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes, or until it is golden and bubbling, and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes Inactive time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes

And another -

PASTA W/CRAB & PEAS IN SAFFRON BROTH

4 servings

1 lb. wide pasta
2T chopped shallot
2 cups chicken stock
1lb. fresh peas
½ lb. crabmeat
2T butter
Generous pinch saffron
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
Fine dice red pepper or fine julienne carrot for garnish

Cook pasta per directions. In large shallow pan, simmer stock with shallot, saffron and red pepper flakes for several minutes til the saffron colors the liquid. Add peas and simmer for 1 minute. Add pasta and heat through; toss in crabmeat and butter; season with salt and pepper; garnish as desired.
owned.

Old 10-17-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Here's one I posted a while back:

My Favorite Fettucine

1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 c. whipping ceam
1-1/2 c. frozen peas
1 jar real bacon bits (2 or 3 oz)
3 cooked chicken breasts, cut up
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pound fettuccine
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp butter (for second half)
1 c. milk
4-5 roma tomatoes, in eighths
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground corriander

Boil water in a large kettle & add salt. In a large skillet, melt butter. Add onions & cook till tender. Add marjoram, cream, peas, bacon, chicken & pepper. Cook over medium till all is heated through. Meanwhile, put pasta in boiling water & cook for the time listed on box. To the contents of the skilet, add lemon juice & stir well & heat through. Add the pasta. Mix well & turn off heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. Mix in remaining butter, milk, tomatoes, nutmeg & corriander. Turn heat on low & simmer till tomatoes are hot.

Let me know if anyone tries this one out
:D
Old 10-17-2004, 11:22 PM   #4

A lot less complicated, but this tastes pretty good...

Set your salted pasta pot to boil on high, then get busy with the following:

Four hot Italian sausages, on the broiler pan, into the oven at 400...

In your saucepan, about three ounces of olive oil...add a medium vidalia, skinned and cut to rings...and about three tablespoons of chopped garlic...saute these until transluscent...

Add a can of tomato paste, and mix in well...

A can of "Classico de Sicilia" "Red Pepper Sauce" (its really not that hot! any good arrabitta sauce could be used!), poured in, and mixed well...

A sweet green or red bell pepper, cored and seeded, sliced thinly and added...

(Optional "hot" recipe" one jalopeno pepper, stemmed, cored and deseeded, cut up very finely)

About eight "hot cherry peppers", cored, cleaned and de-seeded, cut in half..

(Keep Stirring!)

Your sauce should be burbeling along by now, and you are stirring to keep anything from sticking to the bottom of the pan, and, as your sausages reach the 35 minute period of cooking, you can remove them, slice them into 3/8" thick slices, cut on a bias and mix them into the sauce, and season the same to taste with either cayenne or tobasco (gently!)(not everyone wants burnt lips!)

Remove to a ceramic pot, and leave sit for serving...

Pour an adequate amount of "penne rigate" noodles into the furiously boiling water, and cook about 8 minutes, or to taste...drain, douse with olive oil and stir to prevent sticking...

Serve with grated Asiago Cheese as a condiment...

Chianti does go well with this...a red Italian that is sort of "rough" in texture...

Ice cream for dessert to take any "burn" off the tongue and mouth...

Lifter
Old 10-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Lifter, this recipe really looks like something my husband would consume in minutes. I'm going to make a point of making it for him this week - thank you for sharing. PS - I do enjoy how your recipes are written out, as though we are watching your "cooking show" - makes for good reading.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:03 AM   #6

I just posted this over in the "Eggs, Cheese...." category.. but this is pasta and it's in a cheese sauce.. so, I thought I put it here too.

My favorite mac-n-cheese:

1/2 lb Velveeta cut up
1/4 cup milk
1 cup (3 1/2 oz) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
salt and pepper to taste

Stir Velveeta and milk in med saucepan on low heat until smooth. Stir in macaroni, salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into 1-qt casserole and back at 350° for 20 min.

Note: if you want to give each person (makes 4) their own little casserole, substitute 4 (10oz) baking dishes for the 1-qt. Also, if you want to add some crunch to the top of your mac-n-cheese, top with crushed herb-flavored stuffing mix and leave in 10 min longer.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks JulieV, jkath and Lifter I can't wait to try them. Anyone else care to share so all us Pasta Lovers can try your recipes.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 11:02 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I thought long & hard about this because I love pasta! This is one of my favorites. I don't make it often because I am the only one in my family who likes it. I usually freeze the leftovers for another meal or two.

Spinach Stuffed Lasagna Ruffles

1(8oz.)pkg lasagna noodles, uncooked
1(8oz)pkg cream cheese, softened
2(10oz.)pkgs frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
1(15oz)carton ricotta cheese
2C(8oz)grated mozzarella cheese
1 1/2C freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
1 1/2tsp Italian seasoning
1/4tsp. salt
1(32oz)jar spaghetti sauce
Garnishes:fresh basil, freshly grated parmesan cheese

Cook noodles according to package directions & drain. Place noodles on layers of wax paper or plastic wrap.

Beat cream cheese at medium speed of electric mixer until smooth. Stir in spinach, ricotta, mozzarella. 1C. of parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, & salt. Spread 1/2C cheese mixture evenly over each cooked noodle. Roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting at narrow end. Cut lasagna rolls in half crosswise using a sharp knife.

Pour spaghetti sauce into a lightly greased 13x9x2 inch baking disk. Place lasagna ruffles, cut side down, over spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2C parmesan cheese.

Cover & bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until lasagna ruffles are throughly heated. Garnish if desired. Yield 6-10 servings.

From Southern Living Our Best Five Star Recipes.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

crewsk, delete the cream cheese and add some eggs, and you've got what I stuff manicotti with. Haven't made it in a long time, but deeelish.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
That sounds good mudbug! I love manicotti!

Tags
None