"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I generally am too lazy to make pasta, but, say for instance, I decide to make lasagna noodles? I hate buying them as I get 12 pieces which is 3 pieces too many for a panful, or I buy them and like yesterday I got 22 pieces (still a lb), enough for 2 + panfuls. So I make them--how should I store them? Dried and in a container, or frozen fresh? What works best?

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I generally am too lazy to make pasta, but, say for instance, I decide to make lasagna noodles? I hate buying them as I get 12 pieces which is 3 pieces too many for a panful, or I buy them and like yesterday I got 22 pieces (still a lb), enough for 2 + panfuls. So I make them--how should I store them? Dried and in a container, or frozen fresh? What works best?
It's simple to just keep leftover dry pasta in the box in your pantry. It'll last forever. Much easier than making and storing handmade pasta. Once you make lasagna three times, you'll have enough saved leftovers to make a fourth.

If you want pasta that you can make and dry for later use, make it using just flour and water (no egg). Then dry it.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Craig brought home some edible flowers, as well as some hen of the woods and oyster mushrooms from the ritzy market in Palm Beach, which is where Trump's resort and mansion are for those not aware. We may have to try imprinted pasta again.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's simple to just keep leftover dry pasta in the box in your pantry. It'll last forever. Much easier than making and storing handmade pasta. Once you make lasagna three times, you'll have enough saved leftovers to make a fourth.

If you want pasta that you can make and dry for later use, make it using just flour and water (no egg). Then dry it.
Ah thank you. I never would have thought of just making it with flour and water.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I have made pasta quite often. Lasagna mostly for my daughter to use. I have a jar of Italian seasonings and often add 1 tabl. to the flour at the very start. I does give the pasta strips flavor. I have also used just 1 tabl. of freshly ground pepper to the flour. Absolutely divine if you like black pepper. We just happen to. You can add any flavor you want to hand made pasta as long it enhances the rest of the dish.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When we make pasta for lasagna, we don't cut it into strips. We use the wide pieces that come out of the machine, less overlapping needed.

Tags
pasta