"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-03-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
Everymom

Dried Lima beans

I have tried everything I can think of to make these palatable. I soaked them overnight, I tried the quick soak method on the bag, I tried soaking them in broth. The overall result...BLECH! They were STILL hard and crunchy and incredibly flavourless.

I really like the frozen lima beans I can get from time to time. (They are pretty tough to find though.) So I thought I would attempt to cook some of the dried ones that I can find anywhere. Gak. Even the dog wouldn't eat them.

Does anyone have a TNT method for doing these? One where the result is actually tasty?

Old 11-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

no..........
however, they are good for slingshots. (before soaking that is)

Old 11-03-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

It sounds like your beans are too old. Once they are too old, nothing will soften then enough to make them worth eating.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Everymom

Thanks GB, glad to hear it wasn't something I was doing wrong. Buckytom, why didn't you tell me that BEFORE I soaked the whole mess of them! LOL. I am now tempted to go buy more and bean the yappy little dogs next door!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Alix:

The quick soak or overnight soak processes on the bag really only get the beans ready for further cooking. Typically, after the quick soak, you'd put them into a recipe for soup or stew, etc. and cook them further.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
Master Chef

Yes. You still have to cook them. You can't soak and eat.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
Everymom

Oh, I should have told you that I cooked them after soaking them. I put them in soup. Sorry, I wasn't clear there.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Well then. Go back to what GB said about the beans being old. Either that or they weren't cooked long enough.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
Executive Chef

contrary to belief, dried beans don't last forever...well they do, but...
If you bought them this year use them this year. Otherwise use them for pastry weights.

soak, boil, cook etc. I love dried limas with ham hock and greens. As much a thick soup or stew as anything else.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Dried lima beans can be delicious. My mom always used a ham hock to cook them, but I use a ham bone after we've eaten most of the meat. I soak them overnight, cook the hambone for about an hour. Drain the beans out of their soak water and add them and fresh water to the hambone. Cook until they start to soften, then add salt and whatever seasonings you like to flavor them further. Finish cooking and serve over white or brown rice, with chopped sweet onion or scallions. This is a complete meal. The beans and the rice make a complete protein dish. I do make southern cornbread to accompany this, (no sugar). I save the sugar for the iced tea

Tags
None