"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I have one of those tall storage jars for pasta. It is always full of homemade dried noodles. I have a very large clothing drying rack that folds up flat. Perfect for hanging and drying pasta. If I roll the dough out to a certain length and then hang it evenly over the rack, the noodles break at the fold and fit perfectly into the jar. I have it down to a science.

If I am going to be storing them, then I only use olive oil, flour and water. No eggs. But if I am going to using them for that meal that day, then I will add an egg.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have one of those tall storage jars for pasta. It is always full of homemade dried noodles. I have a very large clothing drying rack that folds up flat. Perfect for hanging and drying pasta. If I roll the dough out to a certain length and then hang it evenly over the rack, the noodles break at the fold and fit perfectly into the jar. I have it down to a science.

If I am going to be storing them, then I only use olive oil, flour and water. No eggs. But if I am going to using them for that meal that day, then I will add an egg.
What's your trick to keep them from getting curly/wavy as they dry? I use a folding rack too. Have a look at the pix in this post, and see what I mean: Pasta drying problem

Old 05-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't have my strands as long as yours. Mine are less than one foot. They fit into those tall mason jar like containers and my strands of pasta fit into that. They do have a slight curve to them though. That is only natural for homemade. And when I am feeling lazy, I don't even hang them. I just make nests with each bunch that comes off the cutter.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't have my strands as long as yours. Mine are less than one foot. They fit into those tall mason jar like containers and my strands of pasta fit into that. They do have a slight curve to them though. That is only natural for homemade. And when I am feeling lazy, I don't even hang them. I just make nests with each bunch that comes off the cutter.
Are there any tricks to making the nests so the strands don't stick to each other? Do you sprinkle them with flour?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Are there any tricks to making the nests so the strands don't stick to each other? Do you sprinkle them with flour?
I do. Then when they are dry, the flour just falls off. Place the nests on "impeccably clean" dishtowels, as Julia would say. The cloth silently helps to wick away the moisture and they dry faster.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Addie, I'll give the nests a try.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks Addie, I'll give the nests a try.
Glad to be of help. Anytime.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #18
Master Chef

If I make some pasta and if I have some leftovers I simply put them in the fridge and try to use with in a week or less. I've never made so much that I would need to store it. Sorry no help here. But it just tastes better fresh. Dry one, to me tastes just like store bought. So I do not like to dry it.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Pretty much what everyone has said above.
I sometimes freeze a ball of dough, about the size of a tennis ball is right for me, feeding two/four people.
I have a Mercato drying rack that sits on the counter for hanging noodles. Dry for about half hour after going through the machine, then into the fridge in a container till ready to cook.
I also have supermarket dried pasta in the cupboard for when I don't have time to make my own, but it's so simple that I hardly ever use bought dried pasta.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:48 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought my attachment for pasta making for my KA when it was $24.99. I have been using it for years. The same goes for my meat grinder.

As the pasta is coming off the cutter, grab it all and let it fall as the piece of pasta comes to an end. Grab the other end and wrap it around your hand. Voila, you have your nest. I don't make my solid sheet of dough too long. Once you get it started, if it is too long, then you still need two hands to feed it into the cutters and cannot divert your attention to when it is coming off the cutters. I also have something at the beginning such as a large box like saltines standing on end, sitting there so I can rest the dough on that as it is going into and through the feeder. I cover the box with one of my pastry towels and generously flour it. The sheet of dough is now higher than the feeding part and can fall into the feeder without any assistance. A lot of times in you leave the dough hanging to feed itself through the cutters, it will break off in the middle. And you are left holding some very short strands of pasta.

One of the benefits of having a manual pasta cutter vs. one for your KA, is that you can go at your own pace when cutting it. I am fortunate in that I have the counter space to do all this. But I still have to work with the speed of the KA even though it is on as low as it can go.

And I have to agree with Charlie. Fresh dough is so much better than letting it dry to be used later. But sometimes we all get carried away in our enthusiasm.

Tags
homemade, other, pasta