"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
Everymom

Drying/storing homemade pasta

This is rather an odd question, but does anyone make their own pasta, dry it and store it for a period of time? I've been playing with my pasta maker again, and I'm wondering about drying my own pasta. I have seen frozen homemade pasta, but not dried. Am I running some kind of bacterial risk if I try to dry it myself and store it?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't think you are running a bacterial risk, unless it takes several days to dry. But, I wasn't happy with the results when I dried some fettucine. It cooked and tasted fine. Have a look at this link, Pasta drying problem where I posted the problem and pix thereof.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Honey Badger

I've made my own lasagna noodles,angel hair pasta's without any problems.

It was nice that I was able to size the lasagna pieces to fit into smaller personalized containers when they were needed.

After they were cut.I put them into my dehydrator for a few hours.
When done they went into tall flavor sealed containers or ziploc bags.

The only thing that I could see to be a bacterial risk is if the pasta wasn't fully dried before storage.Just my own opinion for what's it's worth.

Just think of the money you will save doing it yourself, knowing what's exactly in it.

Munky.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I have rolls of frozen pasta dough in my freezer right now. I take it out, let it thaw and run it through my pasta machine. It's easier to store it the dough frozen rather in fluffed up, crushable dry noodles.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Everymom

Oh my. Oldvine, that sounds like just the ticket! How big is the dough ball and how long to thaw completely? I think you have solved my problem for me.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Alix, then you still have to roll out the dough to make noodles once thawed. More convenient than starting from scratch every time but not as convenient as tossing some frozen pasta in a pot of boiling water for a quick dinner.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Everymom

And I have no qualms about doing that whenever I need to. However...both cannelloni and lasagna are better with homemade noodles. I don't mind doing a bit of work for a better final product.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't find mixing up the dough to enough effort to bother freezing lumps of it. The work is in machine kneading and cutting and laying it out when it's cut, so it dries enough not to stick together in the pot.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
Everymom

Do you make lasagna or cannelloni taxlady? I don't boil those first. Just put in extra liquid when I bake them.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Do you make lasagna or cannelloni taxlady? I don't boil those first. Just put in extra liquid when I bake them.
Cannelloni, I have never made. Lasagna, we don't boil that either. I mostly make fettuccine. With whole grain pasta, it's hard to cut it thin stuff like spaghetti.

I just use flour and water for my pasta dough. I put flour in a huge bowl and add water little by little, while stirring with a flat wood spoon. I just add however much water it needs to make a dough. I knead it by hand, maybe 4 or 5 "shoves" until it's a nice texture and then do the rest of the kneading with the pasta machine.

Tags
homemade, other, pasta