"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Head Chef

Did you check out the link I gave you? there are some recipes for breads and cakes using whole wheat flour and cooked in the microwave.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Yes, I did. Thanks again! ^_^

Old 12-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
Head Chef

Cool, and you are welcome!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanne View Post
Well, I know that oatmeal can be made in the microwave very easily by just mixing rolled oats and water... and putting it in the microwave for a few minutes.

So I was just curious if wholewheat flour could also be used to make something edible if one doesn't have access to a frying pan or the oven. :)
First off I should point out that rolled oats are not ground into flour. Now, you might be able to use whole wheat flour and get it to come out as something similar to farina but, again, farina is course ground wheat containing the germ and endosperm (like ww flour) but it is not ground into flour - the texture is more like fine corn meal. So, as Wyogal said, it's going to be more of a paste than something with any texture - and how thick is going to depend on how much water you add to it.

I've never tried doing this so it would be an interesting experiment. If it works - it's going to be really bland and is going to need some butter, sugar or honey, maybe a little milk, maybe a pinch of cinnamon to give it a little flavor.

If you try it let us know how it turns out - and how you did it.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Susanne, if I were you, I would be looking for bread recipes.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #16
Head Chef

The wheat bread recipes I have use about 3.5 cups of ww flour per batch (2 loaves). It makes really good bread, and I use my KA stand mixer. If you lived close enough to me I'd come take some of it off your hands! Nothing like fresh bread, and you don't need a bread machine either. I have one though, and it does make good bread.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #17
Head Chef

She only has a microwave... that's why I recommended a bread machine. May not be able to have a whole oven. Otherwise, yes, bread recipes, along with pancakes, etc. But with no stove nor oven that's kind of hard.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #18
Everymom

Anyone know if you could make a bannock-like bread in a microwave? I'm assuming the dough would have some fat and salt in it too.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #19
Master Chef

I must admit that I never thought about trying to make bread in a microwave - but seems some people have:

Microwave Bread Recipes - Google search results

This Microwave Whole What Bread Recipe seems like it might be promising ...
Old 01-15-2010, 02:45 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to mclares
You don't have access to an oven... but if I were you, I'd freeze it and try for cinnamon rolls when you do get close to an oven! :D My mom used to make whole wheat cinnamon rolls, and they were not bad.

Tags
None