Egg Noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
The other day I was chatting with several of you about "egg noodles" and I said I would thoroughly check out the pasta aisle on my next visit to Sainsburys - which was earlier this afternoon. And I think I found them!

These are the brand that Sainsburys stocks, and they are called Mafalda Corta:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Napolina-Whole-Wheat-Mafalda-Corta/dp/B0089X3ZCA

Is this close enough?

Sainsburys only does a wholewheat version - which I am not fond of. If they do a non-wholewheat version at some point I will definitely get some. I can certainly see how the "frilly" edges are good for holding sauce. ;)

"Suitable for vegetarians"
Does that mean no egg?
They look like nice noodles. Kind of like mini lasagna noodles.
I'm not sure they would pass as egg noodles, but I'd eat them!

"Suitable for vegetarians"
Does that mean no egg?
They look like nice noodles. Kind of like mini lasagna noodles.
I'm not sure they would pass as egg noodles, but I'd eat them!

I didn't actually check to see if they had egg in them! Doh!! (I was just looking for something of a similar shape).

Epic fail! :LOL:

(I blame Sainsburys) :rolleyes:

I only buy wholewheat pasta made in Italy. Omnomnom. Some of the stuff I have tried in the past that wasn't made in Italy was pretty awful, and I eat whole grain pretty much everything.

I only buy wholewheat pasta made in Italy. Omnomnom. Some of the stuff I have tried in the past that wasn't made in Italy was pretty awful, and I eat whole grain pretty much everything.

I like wholegrain bread, but wholegrain anything else I find quite unpalatable.

Sainsburys does 100 versions of dried pasta - not one of which would qualify as "egg noodles".

(Some are the same shape, but don't contain egg. Some contain egg but are completely different shapes!)

A true cultural divide? :LOL:

Sainsburys does 100 versions of dried pasta - not one of which would qualify as "egg noodles".

(Some are the same shape, but don't contain egg. Some contain egg but are completely different shapes!)

A true cultural divide? :LOL:

The only requirement for pasta to be egg noodles is that it contains egg. The shape is secondary and and there are many choices. So buy any shape egg noodle you like and enjoy.

The only requirement for pasta to be egg noodles is that it contains egg. The shape is secondary and and there are many choices. So buy any shape egg noodle you like and enjoy.

Well I always used to take that view Andy. It was only when I foolishly asked what "egg noodles" were that things got confusing! :rolleyes::LOL:

And we won't even mention Chinese Noodles...

I'm pretty sure when you buy egg noodles over here, or see a picture of some, they are all short, wide and somewhat wavy. It might be technically correct to say any pasta that contains egg, but in my opinion it should look like what is perceived to be an egg noodle. That seems to be what pasta is all about anyway, the shape and texture and having a name for it.

Manischewitz makes a great broad noodle. They're my favorite for many things. I recently used them in that short rib recipe that Andy M posted. MMMMMMMM!

I think the only thing we can agree on is that pasta/noodles - with or without egg - is a huge variety of products!

Here's an example: Orzo. Looks just like rice, but is actually pasta. (No idea if it has egg or not!)

Ultimately though, where would we be without them? :)

Manischewitz makes a great broad noodle. They're my favorite for many things. I recently used them in that short rib recipe that Andy M posted. MMMMMMMM!

I always used to serve rice when I made Stroganoff, but then I tried it with buttered Tagliatelle and fresh chopped parsley, which was divine. :yum:

(I'm sure broad noodles are not Tagliatelle BTW - this was just to agree with you about how versatile pasta is).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom