"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Munky,

It's four days later are you still making eggrolls???
Don't I wish..My son has taken over the pasta maker..
That wasn't supposed to happen... I'll let you know how it turns out .

Munky.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Don't I wish..My son has taken over the pasta maker..
That wasn't supposed to happen... I'll let you know how it turns out .

Munky.
You know you know.... You must send him to his room...

Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
Honey Badger

Going to try for the weekend

It's been crazy here. Some days I feel alright other days I'm just too tired. Been told not to get back into too much too soon. I'll try to get get them made this weekend.. Been craving these for a while now.

Munky.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Head Chef

Sorry that you're not feeling well, hope you get better soon... XOXO
Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
Honey Badger

Ok just realized this might not work.. My husband and I went to this restaurant Menu - P.F. Chang's China Bistro we had the pork dumpling as an appitizer.. He says they were more like pot stickers.. They were good.Will egg roll wrappers do to make them?

Thanks
Munky.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I believe egg roll wrapper dough is different from pot sticker/dumpling dough. I think it will still work.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
Honey Badger

I think your right Andy.. Egg roll wrappers seem to be whats the word? Thicker wrapper-durable?.. What we had the dough seemed very delicate would tear easily.

I'll look around DC and see what I can find.
Thanks.
Munky.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
Head Chef

With out a doubt there are two different animals... Dumplings are very delicate, and usually made with rice flour... I get my dumpling wrappers from a chinese grocery, they are sometimes labled gyoza wrappers... If you do make them be sure to line your steamer with lettuce leaves, and then place the dumplings on top, this will keep them from sticking... Was it Pei Wei you went to or the mama P.F.Changs??? Fabulous food at both of those...

Happy cooking Munky, let me know how you did...
Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #19
Head Chef

Hey, Munky! Dumplings are good fun to make and cook. I've rolled my own skins, with both rice and wheat flour, both with and without egg. With is better, with a brief rest in the frig; the dough is more durable. There are more than a dozen brands at my local asian market (both refrigerated and frozen), so for me, it's more fun to just buy skins and put my creative energies into the fillings.

The gyoza pot-stickers are browned on the bottom in a very hot shallow pan with oil, and then steamed with the addition of water. The quick crust keeps them from sticking. (I've never quite understood why they're called "pot-stickers"!?)

Here's a basic filling recipe, the ratio/quantities really aren't that important...

Ground pork, seasoned
Cabbage, blanched and finely chopped
Green onion and chive, finely chopped
Ginger, grated to taste
Soy sauce, rice wine sake, and sesame oil, just a dash

As mimi noted, one important point about making dumplings is to limit the moisture content of the filling. If it's sealed, too much moisture inside will expand and likely burst the dumpling's delicate skin. The cabbage should therefore be squeezed of all its liquid. Many people cook their fillings first for precisely this reason. Otherwise, just mix the above well until it is pasty.

Let's not forget... the dipping sauce. Again, you can be creative. A basic one is: soy sauce, rice vinegar, and chili oil.

Munky, challenge your son to seal and pleat a good-looking dumpling. I guarantee they will all be ugly. THAT is the most difficult task of home-made dumplings. AND, why it is so much fun to make, cook, and eat!

I have a secret recipe with square skins that wows all my dinner guests. One of these days, I'll post it on DC. (I origami fold it into an inflatable ball, pipe a filling, and deep fry.) Whether you crisp them into a salad topping or throw pasta strips of them into a soup at the last minute, they are a great addition of starch to your diet.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
Head Chef

Spork, what great information... I would love to see pics of how you do those dumplings... Have you ever done the soup dumplings???

Tags
None