Eliminating Gas from Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you in some closed up office environment where people are constantly exposed to, and bombarded by the foul stench you produce?

I'd suggest eating beans when you know you won't be in such a precarious situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
gosh, we eat so many beans around here, I forgot how you can be a persona non grata if you only eat them occasionally which confirms the theory that if you eat them on a regular basis your system adjusts.Okay, from my experience, the people who have posted that you throw the bath water out without the beans are right. Do throw out the soak water and add fresh water before cooking and yes, my m-i-l swears by the small addition of baking soda. I've never done it but we eat lots of beans (mainly pinto, ranch style, and black beans) so it's never been a problem around here. I've also read that it's the sugars in the beans that also are the offending agent and throwing out the soak water eliminates a lot of that. I dont' know-I've never cooked my beans in the overnight soak water. I always throw it out and start with fresh water.

Why all these exorbitant lengths to prevent people from farting? Am i missing something? Everyone farts.

What is the problem exactly?

Is it that as you become older your farts tend do deteriorate into atomic blasts?

lol, trying to throw in some humor, but this thread is bizarre. as a young man ive never heard of any of these issues.

The only think i can think of is as you get older you can really clear out a room.

Epazote does seem to work. I use it whenever I cook beans - also never cook the beans in the soaking water. Sometimes I even par cook and toss that water - especially if I want to really be safe.

I save the meat and bones from the Christmas and Thanksgiving hams to use in my beans. I recently found the recipe for "Congressional Beans", as in the Congressional dining room. They were awesome - now is my ONLY bean recipe!
I used to cook my meat (ham hock; hog jowl; back or neck bones or whatever was available) with a whole onion. Now I cook the meat and onions in a frying pan and add them to the beans just before eating them. Try it, you will like it!

I agree with the throw the water out after soaking but I also go one step further and cook the beans bringing just to a boil where you can see foam on top of the beans then dump the water and rinse the beans and wash out the pot then put back on the stove to cook and flavor. Seems like a lot of work just for a pot of beans but as of yet I have not had any complaints about mine.

chefchewy said:
I agree with the throw the water out after soaking but I also go one step further and cook the beans bringing just to a boil where you can see foam on top of the beans then dump the water and rinse the beans and wash out the pot then put back on the stove to cook and flavor. Seems like a lot of work just for a pot of beans but as of yet I have not had any complaints about mine.
I tend to change the soaking water every 2-3 hours (if soaking 12-24 hours before cooking). Like chefchewy, I will bring to just to a boil and then do the same as they do. It does really cut down on the gas if not almost all doing it this way. Believe me (a lifelong pinto bean-eater), it does help, lol.

oldcampcook said:
I recently found the recipe for "Congressional Beans", as in the Congressional dining room.

I don't know about you, but I would expect "Congressional Beans" to produce more gas than any other recipe! :ROFLMAO:

I once cooked an indian dish that my bf showed me and i forgot the ginger (the minced stuff from the jar). ....apparently ginger does something for the gas ;) :)

Last edited:
Harborwitch said:
Epazote does seem to work. I use it whenever I cook beans - also never cook the beans in the soaking water. Sometimes I even par cook and toss that water - especially if I want to really be safe.

Epazote works somewhat but it seems to have gotten a lot more expensive lately. I wonder what loss of nutritional value is caused by tossing soaking and cooking water? Anyone tried the Mills Brother's Alamo solution- washing the beans with Duz or Lux??

Caine said:
I don't know about you, but I would expect "Congressional Beans" to produce more gas than any other recipe! :ROFLMAO:

That's a good one, Caine, and all too true!

In a lot of Indian households beans are cooked every single day. You can throw away water, change it multiple times and go through great lengths but bottom line as some others stated it's all about getting used to beans.

If you eat beans regularly the gas complaints diminish and are not even a big issue anymore.

An extremely popular dish in India and Pakistan called Haleem uses whole soaked wheat grains along with atleast 1/2 a dozen beans and lamb meat and even that does not bother the locals (wheat grains are so tough even after being soaked and cooked down for hours) because they are used to it.

Indians use a product called Hing (asafoedita) to reduce gas in beans but I don't think it works and it smells awful.

justplainbill said:
Epazote works somewhat but it seems to have gotten a lot more expensive lately. I wonder what loss of nutritional value is caused by tossing soaking and cooking water? Anyone tried the Mills Brother's Alamo solution- washing the beans with Duz or Lux??
Once in a while they have fresh espazote at one of the nearby markets. I'm not a fan. I too have wondered about pouring nutrition down the drain. I don't use the quick soak method anymore for that reason. I don't think the overnight soak leeches out much of anything and if I don't have time for that I'll just cook without soaking. I don't think I've heard anyone recommend tossing the cooking water though. I wouldn't want to and it certainly seems wasteful.
;)
Bill I nominate you to try the Alamo Alley solution for the rest of us and report back on how it works out.

Rom said:
I once cooked an indian dish that my bf showed me and i forgot the ginger (the minced stuff from the jar). ....apparently ginger does something for the gas ;) :)

Ginger is great for any tummy upset---just chop it up and add it to some boiling water for around 5 minutes (add a little sugar if you like) and drink. Can really alleviate the dodgiest of stomachs---so I can see why you might find it in some Indian dishes. The Indian restaurant where we frequent departs you with a handful of sugar crystals, cardamom, fennel, anise seed, etc., and that's to help with the digestion. The essential oils in them break up the gastric bubbles of impending disaster. Have you ever added an oily pot to soapy water and seen the bubbles disappear? Same principle. Ok, I'm a bit off topic---sorry! But I agree with the postings that say the more you eat on a regular basis the less you have gastric rumblings and topsy-turvies. Good luck!:-p

Yakuta said:
If you eat beans regularly the gas complaints diminish and are not even a big issue anymore.

I've found that to be the case for me, certainly.

Chick peas, kidney beans, lentils, red beans, and black beans are all pretty common in my diet, and have been for years. They cause me absolutly no trouble!

When you eat more legumes your body becomes use to them. I use asafetida (Indian resin related to fennel) in legumes and it does help. You can buy this in a small container in powder form at all Indian makets. It stinks but the odor goes away when cooked-you use a tiny bit. It then takes on a sort of garlicky taste, but milder.

Back
Top Bottom