Eliminating Gas from Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)Yes soak them throw out soak water rinse them then cook.Its true the more fiber you eat the less gas.
:LOL:Beans,beans the magical fruit the more you eat the more you toot,the more you toot the more you eat and if you put pineapple in them you get Hawaiien(sp?) music:ROFLMAO:

What the heck happened to this thread!!!?!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

Excellent giggle before I head off to work! Thanks all!

Beans are excellent for overall health

Beans are excellent for overall health and the gas is actually a result of good bacterial growth in our intestines, in which the gas is temporary.
On beans & gas, here's a great column about exactly that: Beans and Gas: Clearing the air | NutritionFacts.org (NutritionFacts.org is an excellent resource. Non-commercial, and provides sources for all research cited.)

Change hot pre-soak water frequently

What methods do you use to eliminate gas from Beans BESIDES Beano?

Right now I'm washing in hot water, then soaking for 12 hours, then cooking on medium heat for 8 hours. Is that enough? Are there other methods? Should they be washed more? Thank you.

Right now I'm washing in hot water, then soaking for 12 hours, then cooking on medium heat for 8 hours. Is that enough? Are there other methods? Should they be washed more? Thank you.

This thread deteriorates as it continues without offering much help, so I'll post my own research on lowering the price of gas here:

Beans cause gas because of a particular indigestible sugar called raffinose. Humans lack the enzyme to break down this sugar. Raffinose is also responsible for the reputation of cruciferous veggies such as cabbage, brussels sprouts and broccoli.
The result is parallel to lactose intolerance. To one degree or another, adults produce less or no lactase, an enzyme infant mammals need to break down the sugar lactose in milk.

Use hot water and change it as frequently as practical during the soak period, a minimum of four hours for most varieties.
The most effective current remedy, besides the commercial product Beano, appears to be to reduce the amount of raffinose in beans before cooking them. Most beans should be pre-soaked before cooking anyway, so it's the perfect opportunity to leach out as much raffinose as you can.

Think of the process as similar to brewing tea. The longer you let tea leaves infuse, the stronger the liquid becomes. In our case, the hot soak water becomes increasingly infused with extracted raffinose.
It's a chemical principle in liquids that molecules migrate away from any area of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration. The rate of this diffusion slows to a standstill as equilibrium is approached. A corollary is that molecules move more quickly in higher temperatures.
Frequent changing of hot pre-soak water, and taking more time with this, will flush away the maximum amount of the culprit from your beans as possible.
Obviously, you'll do a more thorough job of this than canners do, so prepare your own beans from dried stock.
Don't undercook them. Longer, slower cooking breaks down more of the remaining culprit.
Cooked beans freeze beautifully in baggies. I like to portion them out in standard can sizes recipes call for.

Diabetic? Here's an additional benefit:
Read the ingredients on a can of kidney beans. See that sugar??
All brands I've inspected add it to this type of bean.
I have to watch out for added sugar and HFCS like a hawk.
Preparing your own is so simple if you do a large batch and freeze.

All I can offer is what my dad did for us and that was to add baking soda to the beans he made us. he added several Tab. of the baking soda to his beans before serving. Watch the pot so they don't spill over
kades

Now why would anyone want to eliminate the gas?
Nothing is better then a Haydn Trumpet Concerto.
Around here if someone eats beans then everyone else does to defend themselves.
mykstor , I don't see it as a deterioration of the thread. I see it as people having a bit of fun at something every living thing does.
Farts are a universal humor. We're taught to frown at a natural function. I'll bet you that if a spaceship landed and the beings who were encountered heard you "Pass gas" then they would laugh. Or if you heard them "poot" you'd giggle a little yourself. I know I would.
Sorry folks but I'm just a little kid at heart.

I eliminate all gas from foods, beans, cabbage, brussels, broccoli etc., after I eat them. Had a sheltie once that got into the brewers yeast suppliment. That poor dog!:ohmy: He was off-gasing for 3 days, he couldn't sit down cause it hurt and he would spin around in circles trying to sniff where the smell was eminating from.:huh:

Last edited:
I eliminate all gas from foods, beans, cabbage, brussels, broccoli etc., after I eat them. Had a sheltie once that got into the brewers yeast suppliment. That poor dog!:ohmy: He was off-gasing for 3 days, he couldn't sit down cause it hurt and he would spin around in circles trying to sniff where the smell was eminating from.:huh:
thank you so much craig.took a last look at dc before setting off to visit bolas & madge.it's an hour's drive & i think i'll still be laughing when i get there!!!!.
hold that picture:ohmy::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:!
ps i don't suffer from gas.....i enjoy it;)!

thank you so much craig.took a last look at dc before setting off to visit bolas & madge.it's an hour's drive & i think i'll still be laughing when i get there!!!!.
hold that picture:ohmy::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:!
ps i don't suffer from gas.....i enjoy it;)!

I heard there was a British fellow who makes a living from off gasing on stage. Think he calls himself Mr. Meethane?

Harry calling from north wales

I heard there was a British fellow who makes a living from off gasing on stage. Think he calls himself Mr. Meethane?
good morning craig,over in north wales with bolas & madge & using bro's laptop.
correct! paul oldfield is mr methane.he was born in macclesfield cheshire,dresses as a marvel comics character on stage & f*rts for a living.....crack on :ROFLMAO:!
wonder if he is related to mike oldfield....who needs tubular bells?
there was also a lady on the london music hall circuit back in victorian times.she was eventually exposed as a fraud when they found she had whistles & flutes concealed in her voluminous victorian knickers.there is no account of what she blew them with.......:ohmy:!
the british? eccentric? never:ROFLMAO:!

G.Q. Us naughty little school boys never grow up. ;)

And to me that's a good thing. :mrgreen:

I'm old enough as it is and anything I can do to hold on to youth is welcome in my life. :whistling

And around here you'll need a highly fragranced hanky. :eek:

Queens jubilee fanfare

I'm sorry, I appear to have stumbled on the naughty little school boy thread.

Wanders off haughtily sniffing a lightly fragranced hankie.
oh,get off your high horse queenie,even your namesake launches an air biscuit now & again....and it's evidently a myth that they smell like roses.the real reason she keeps corgi's is so she can blame the dog.................:ohmy::ermm::LOL:!

Attachments

• THE QUEEN FARTS.jpg
    THE QUEEN FARTS.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 188

Is there anything left after 8 hours of cooking?
This is what I do to avoid the gas problem: Boil the beans gently for 10 minutes in 5 to 10 times their weight in water (no presoaking required). Allow them to cool and soak for 24 hours at room temperatured in the same water. Discard the soaking water, rinse the beans, and cook. This method does not affect proteing content significantly, but there is considerable loss of minerals and vitamins.
Also please consider that some beans are less gas-producing and some more. This varies from person to person, but in general. adzuki beans are considered the most digestible.

Last edited:
I remember my sister - as a child - asking my aunt what those little white dots were on the beans she was soaking. My aunt very seriously told her that those were the 'farters'. Apparently nobody told her that was only a joke as she called my aunt a few years later when she was making her first pot of beans and asked how to get the 'farters' cut out LOL

Someone told me to use baking soda in the soak .. seems to work !

Back
Top Bottom