"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #31
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcampcook
I recently found the recipe for "Congressional Beans", as in the Congressional dining room.
I don't know about you, but I would expect "Congressional Beans" to produce more gas than any other recipe!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #32
Sous Chef

I once cooked an indian dish that my bf showed me and i forgot the ginger (the minced stuff from the jar). ....apparently ginger does something for the gas ;) :)

Old 07-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
Epazote does seem to work. I use it whenever I cook beans - also never cook the beans in the soaking water. Sometimes I even par cook and toss that water - especially if I want to really be safe.
Epazote works somewhat but it seems to have gotten a lot more expensive lately. I wonder what loss of nutritional value is caused by tossing soaking and cooking water? Anyone tried the Mills Brother's Alamo solution- washing the beans with Duz or Lux??
Old 07-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I don't know about you, but I would expect "Congressional Beans" to produce more gas than any other recipe!
That's a good one, Caine, and all too true!
Old 07-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #35
Head Chef

In a lot of Indian households beans are cooked every single day. You can throw away water, change it multiple times and go through great lengths but bottom line as some others stated it's all about getting used to beans.

If you eat beans regularly the gas complaints diminish and are not even a big issue anymore.

An extremely popular dish in India and Pakistan called Haleem uses whole soaked wheat grains along with atleast 1/2 a dozen beans and lamb meat and even that does not bother the locals (wheat grains are so tough even after being soaked and cooked down for hours) because they are used to it.

Indians use a product called Hing (asafoedita) to reduce gas in beans but I don't think it works and it smells awful.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
Epazote works somewhat but it seems to have gotten a lot more expensive lately. I wonder what loss of nutritional value is caused by tossing soaking and cooking water? Anyone tried the Mills Brother's Alamo solution- washing the beans with Duz or Lux??
Once in a while they have fresh espazote at one of the nearby markets. I'm not a fan. I too have wondered about pouring nutrition down the drain. I don't use the quick soak method anymore for that reason. I don't think the overnight soak leeches out much of anything and if I don't have time for that I'll just cook without soaking. I don't think I've heard anyone recommend tossing the cooking water though. I wouldn't want to and it certainly seems wasteful.

Bill I nominate you to try the Alamo Alley solution for the rest of us and report back on how it works out.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:05 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom
I once cooked an indian dish that my bf showed me and i forgot the ginger (the minced stuff from the jar). ....apparently ginger does something for the gas ;) :)
Ginger is great for any tummy upset---just chop it up and add it to some boiling water for around 5 minutes (add a little sugar if you like) and drink. Can really alleviate the dodgiest of stomachs---so I can see why you might find it in some Indian dishes. The Indian restaurant where we frequent departs you with a handful of sugar crystals, cardamom, fennel, anise seed, etc., and that's to help with the digestion. The essential oils in them break up the gastric bubbles of impending disaster. Have you ever added an oily pot to soapy water and seen the bubbles disappear? Same principle. Ok, I'm a bit off topic---sorry! But I agree with the postings that say the more you eat on a regular basis the less you have gastric rumblings and topsy-turvies. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #38
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
If you eat beans regularly the gas complaints diminish and are not even a big issue anymore.
I've found that to be the case for me, certainly.

Chick peas, kidney beans, lentils, red beans, and black beans are all pretty common in my diet, and have been for years. They cause me absolutly no trouble!
Old 09-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #39
Cook

When you eat more legumes your body becomes use to them. I use asafetida (Indian resin related to fennel) in legumes and it does help. You can buy this in a small container in powder form at all Indian makets. It stinks but the odor goes away when cooked-you use a tiny bit. It then takes on a sort of garlicky taste, but milder.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
Here in Louisiana we don't try to eliminate the gas from beans. We consider it part of the fun. LOL (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Tags
None