"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #41
Head Chef

i let rip a rowdy bean blast and then put the covers over my wife's head. keeps her on her toes.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
Over here we call that puttin her in the "Dutch Oven".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig View Post
i let rip a rowdy bean blast and then put the covers over my wife's head. keeps her on her toes.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Okay, you guys..................to the time out chair or I'll have to send you to Marge's woodshed.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Yes soak them throw out soak water rinse them then cook.Its true the more fiber you eat the less gas.
Beans,beans the magical fruit the more you eat the more you toot,the more you toot the more you eat and if you put pineapple in them you get Hawaiien(sp?) music
Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun Cook
I had a feeling I wuz gonna get fussed. OK, I admit it...I am 43 going on 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Okay, you guys..................to the time out chair or I'll have to send you to Marge's woodshed.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:20 AM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Cook View Post
Here in Louisiana we don't try to eliminate the gas from beans. We consider it part of the fun. LOL (Sorry, couldn't resist)
I was gonna say....
Old 10-23-2007, 03:29 AM   #47
Executive Chef

What the heck happened to this thread!!!?!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

Excellent giggle before I head off to work! Thanks all!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #48
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up Beans are excellent for overall health

Beans are excellent for overall health and the gas is actually a result of good bacterial growth in our intestines, in which the gas is temporary.
On beans & gas, here's a great column about exactly that: Beans and Gas: Clearing the air | NutritionFacts.org (NutritionFacts.org is an excellent resource. Non-commercial, and provides sources for all research cited.)
Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #49
Assistant Cook

Change hot pre-soak water frequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErgoErgun View Post
What methods do you use to eliminate gas from Beans BESIDES Beano?

Right now I'm washing in hot water, then soaking for 12 hours, then cooking on medium heat for 8 hours. Is that enough? Are there other methods? Should they be washed more? Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErgoErgun View Post
What methods do you use to eliminate gas from Beans BESIDES Beano?

Right now I'm washing in hot water, then soaking for 12 hours, then cooking on medium heat for 8 hours. Is that enough? Are there other methods? Should they be washed more? Thank you.
This thread deteriorates as it continues without offering much help, so I'll post my own research on lowering the price of gas here:

Beans cause gas because of a particular indigestible sugar called raffinose. Humans lack the enzyme to break down this sugar. Raffinose is also responsible for the reputation of cruciferous veggies such as cabbage, brussels sprouts and broccoli.
The result is parallel to lactose intolerance. To one degree or another, adults produce less or no lactase, an enzyme infant mammals need to break down the sugar lactose in milk.

Use hot water and change it as frequently as practical during the soak period, a minimum of four hours for most varieties.
The most effective current remedy, besides the commercial product Beano, appears to be to reduce the amount of raffinose in beans before cooking them. Most beans should be pre-soaked before cooking anyway, so it's the perfect opportunity to leach out as much raffinose as you can.

Think of the process as similar to brewing tea. The longer you let tea leaves infuse, the stronger the liquid becomes. In our case, the hot soak water becomes increasingly infused with extracted raffinose.
It's a chemical principle in liquids that molecules migrate away from any area of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration. The rate of this diffusion slows to a standstill as equilibrium is approached. A corollary is that molecules move more quickly in higher temperatures.
Frequent changing of hot pre-soak water, and taking more time with this, will flush away the maximum amount of the culprit from your beans as possible.
Obviously, you'll do a more thorough job of this than canners do, so prepare your own beans from dried stock.
Don't undercook them. Longer, slower cooking breaks down more of the remaining culprit.
Cooked beans freeze beautifully in baggies. I like to portion them out in standard can sizes recipes call for.

Diabetic? Here's an additional benefit:
Read the ingredients on a can of kidney beans. See that sugar??
All brands I've inspected add it to this type of bean.
I have to watch out for added sugar and HFCS like a hawk.
Preparing your own is so simple if you do a large batch and freeze.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

All I can offer is what my dad did for us and that was to add baking soda to the beans he made us. he added several Tab. of the baking soda to his beans before serving. Watch the pot so they don't spill over
kades

Tags
None