"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Eliminating Gas from Beans

What methods do you use to eliminate gas from Beans BESIDES Beano?

Right now I'm washing in hot water, then soaking for 12 hours, then cooking on medium heat for 8 hours. Is that enough? Are there other methods? Should they be washed more? Thank you.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
There was a recent thread about this. It seems like there is no cure outside of eating them often and just getting used to their music. Beano seems to be the only answer. This is something they should look at on Mythbusters.

JDP

Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Head Chef

It is really not the technique of cooking that gives beans and corn the gas. The source of gas comes from how much air is consumed while chewing. Some people also complain about similar effects when they eat green peas...

A nice bean soup with tomatoes, meat, etc. causes less discomfort.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
It is really not the technique of cooking that gives beans and corn the gas. The source of gas comes from how much air is consumed while chewing. Some people also complain about similar effects when they eat green peas...

A nice bean soup with tomatoes, meat, etc. causes less discomfort.
Not true.

There is fiber in the beans that cannot be broken down by the enzymes in your intestines. This results in incomplete digestion that generates that foul smelling gas. Beano adds the necessary enzymes needed to completely digest the beans and therefore prevent your system's generating the gas.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Head Chef

Have a look at this thread for info:

ISO black bean help
Old 03-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Not true.

There is fiber in the beans that cannot be broken down by the enzymes in your intestines. This results in incomplete digestion that generates that foul smelling gas. Beano adds the necessary enzymes needed to completely digest the beans and therefore prevent your system's generating the gas.
It is quite curious that people do not complain about these side effects after consuming a burrito or any other refried bean dish.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErgoErgun
What methods do you use to eliminate gas from Beans BESIDES Beano?
Just eatin' more beaners!
Old 03-02-2007, 06:34 AM   #8
Sous Chef

It is quite curious that people do not complain about these side effects after consuming a burrito or any other refried bean dish.__________________
Question of amount? Maybe they do "complain" and just don't say it here.
I will say I have never heard anyone complain of gas from peas because they chewed and swallowed air! ;o)

Beans just cause gas. Not a matter of cooking method, etc. as Andy has already said. You can build up a tolerance to it--I suspect many vegans and vegetarians do not have the problem my DH and I have.
But beans and bean recipes is jes' plain ole good and I have to have them from time to time.
Getting ready to do some black beans with a recently liberated ham bone. And maybe my minestrone with tomatoes, beef, and beans--yum yum. It's turning cold down south again.
Speaking of ham hocks, are folks aware that Honey Baked Ham sells their ham hocks for not much and apparently they have a mountain of meat left on them--probably enough for a casserole, plus the bone for soup.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #9
Head Chef

I will not repeat the couragous experiment I undertook just recently on this subject. If this is a cunning ploy to get me to do so you are in for disappointment, rofl.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thanks

Candocook, thank you for informing us of the ham hocks. Seems the stores don't want to encourage the consumers to experiment with preparations at home like making soup or beans.

Yesterday made some lentil soup and had to look high and very low for the ham bone. Finally found at a small store that must have had them sitting for fairly long time. They were starting to smell. Used them as soon as I could. Had to buy 'extra' meat for the soup although I think the lentils alone should have been enough. This is one soup they can't get enough of.

Tags
None