"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I like to fry the noodles. In a bowl, I mix low sodium soy sauce, ginger, fresh grated garlic, chives, lime juice and a couple drops sriracha. Then I bring a pot of water to a boil. I add the noodles and cook until they just barely start to soften, like, are still mostly uncooked but bend some, then quickly remove from the heat and drain all the water. Then I heat a little oil in a fry pan and toss in the noodles and the stuff I mixed in the bowl. I stir the noodles constantly so they don't stick. They soften up but are still kind of crisp and they absorb all the yummy flavor from the soy sauce mixture. Serve 'em up with a side of eggs scrambled with green onion and a side of brocoli. Probably not the healthiest way to eat them since they are fried but they really are tastey.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I like to fry the noodles. In a bowl, I mix low sodium soy sauce, ginger, fresh grated garlic, chives, lime juice and a couple drops sriracha. Then I bring a pot of water to a boil. I add the noodles and cook until they just barely start to soften, like, are still mostly uncooked but bend some, then quickly remove from the heat and drain all the water. Then I heat a little oil in a fry pan and toss in the noodles and the stuff I mixed in the bowl. I stir the noodles constantly so they don't stick. They soften up but are still kind of crisp and they absorb all the yummy flavor from the soy sauce mixture. Serve 'em up with a side of eggs scrambled with green onion and a side of brocoli. Probably not the healthiest way to eat them since they are fried but they really are tastey.
I've cooked rice noodles the way you describe, but never have done the ramen noodles that way. Thanks, now I know it'll work well.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
Head Chef

This is one of my ramen creations, and I've never heard of or seen eggs cooked this way... one egg beaten (no air) ready to be scrambled... when the sauce pan of water comes to high boil, I swirl it briskly into a whirlpool, pour the egg into the middle... I quickly remove any foamy white snot that develops with a small wire mesh scoop to clarify the water... then I use the dry brick of ramen noodle to shovel all the congealing egg up against the curvature of the pan, forming and holding it in place until it sets into a football shape... I slide the brick of ramen underneath for it to cook, add the Chicken Flavor soup packet... the fluffy egg is done and resting on top for the remaining minute or two... to finish, I drain... drain some more on paper towel... use paper towel to form hot egg into nicer football... plate noodle, omelet, drizzle with ketchup. The egg has the sublime texture of a cloud.

I call it my "Ramen Breakfast." I know, that sounds soo wrong!

My favorite brands are probably Nissin and Charumera.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy
According to Union Foods, an Americah Ramen Manufacturer, there is no MSG in the noodles, it's all in the seasoning package.

The first thing I do when I open a package of Ramen is to throw away that nasty little package of sodium and MSG.

If I want to add flavor, I'll add something to the noodles like Chicken or Beef Broth and seasonings.

Here's a KopyKat of the Ramen seasoning pack mix:

2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
salt, to taste

Or, leave out the salt all together and make it even more healthy.

Use just enough of that mix to make it taste right for you. About 1.5 teaspoons of it to start.

I add a good shake of hot sauce.
I may have to try that one sometime. Sounds down right tasty!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Orton View Post
I may have to try that one sometime. Sounds down right tasty!
If you let the noodles sit in the broth for about 30 minutes after boiling them for 3 minutes in it, they get nice and plump with the flavorable broth and *then* add the 1.5 teaspoon of seasoning and reheat the noodles.

You'll get addicted to it. I have this as an easy supper quite often.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe
A picture of theses plated up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111121_125820.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	12441
Old 11-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

nope. still not eating them.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
nope. still not eating them.
Me either--yikes! Give me the green canister of parmesan, or velvetta.....but never ramen! What is wrong with me?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I almost bought some yesterday just to see what the fuss was all about.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

nothing's wrong, blissful. We all have our own tastes. i read this thread to see if there was any ideas that would interest me in this stuff, but alas.

Tags
None