"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #71
Executive Chef

Too much MSG for me. For a while I used to throw away half of the seasoning packet. These days I just leave them all at the store. I guess I'm not "everyone."

I don't want to see Ramen on my plate! (Wait! That's a different topic!)

Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Want to start a "Night Nurse Noodle" Franchise?
first i'd have to quit my job, go to Japan for a year or two, wash floors and dishes, before ever getting close to the stove and then maybe if I am hard working enough, maybe then I will learn how to make ramen noodles. Though in the movie, mentioned above they never do shouw how the noddles are made. Whivh is the important part. Broth I bet I could make now.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #73
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Too much MSG for me. For a while I used to throw away half of the seasoning packet. These days I just leave them all at the store. I guess I'm not "everyone."
Some Asian markets sell fresh, plain packaged refrigerated ramen noodles without seasoning packets. Those are good. I like making miso ramen when I use those.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #74
Master Chef

roadfix, how do you make misso? I have a pack seating in the fridge, i better use it before it goes bad.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #75
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
roadfix, how do you make misso? I have a pack seating in the fridge, i better use it before it goes bad.
I'm not roadfix, but here's a perfect Miso Soup Recipe for you Charlie.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I love Raman noodles! The way I fix them is to add the water and then Nuke them for 3 minutes adn then let it set until the water is absorbed completely. The noodles puff up nice and big and taste so good that way!

Things that I add:
Can of Hormel Chili or a can of whatever veggie my hand hits first in the pantry.
I"m never out of Raman. I buy the sixpacks of them.
I only add a can of petite peas and some butter. Salt has never been a problem for me as I seldom reach for the salt shaker. And if I do it is sea salt. Nor is MSG. Like you, I keep a six pack on hand. Great for midnight quick meals. For me, one pack is very filling.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #77
Master Chef

Thanks Tim.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #78
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have to make the ramen salad again too. Loved it. Sans critters.
After easily a month of trying to trap critter, and finding the double-bagged ramen breached, I looked at that bit of the pantry, with its shreds of bags, wrappings, DROPPINGS, and noodle "crumbs", and, against all instinct (which was to, once more, remove everything from the pantry, wipe down anything critter had crawled over to get to ramen (and other kinds of pasta, seems to be the favorite food of this particular infestation)(we have them most early winters, but usually it is dog food they crave), bleach the cupboard .... I left the droppings, crumbs, etc and suggested hubby set the trap in the middle of the mess that was left. Gross, but it worked. The mouse was attracted back to the scene of his/her last triumph over humans and whack! That was last night. Cringed and suggested the same for another night (mice usually travel in couples). Husband, in frustration quit using the raw bacon and peanut butter he'd been using for a decade with great success, and used of all things, an uncooked egg noodle. Zap. If the trap comes out clean tomorrow morning, I'll remove all from the pantry and scrub everything yet one more time.

No ramen until spring unless I have extra sealed plastic containers to store them in.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire

After easily a month of trying to trap critter, and finding the double-bagged ramen breached, I looked at that bit of the pantry, with its shreds of bags, wrappings, DROPPINGS, and noodle "crumbs", and, against all instinct (which was to, once more, remove everything from the pantry, wipe down anything critter had crawled over to get to ramen (and other kinds of pasta, seems to be the favorite food of this particular infestation)(we have them most early winters, but usually it is dog food they crave), bleach the cupboard .... I left the droppings, crumbs, etc and suggested hubby set the trap in the middle of the mess that was left. Gross, but it worked. The mouse was attracted back to the scene of his/her last triumph over humans and whack! That was last night. Cringed and suggested the same for another night (mice usually travel in couples). Husband, in frustration quit using the raw bacon and peanut butter he'd been using for a decade with great success, and used of all things, an uncooked egg noodle. Zap. If the trap comes out clean tomorrow morning, I'll remove all from the pantry and scrub everything yet one more time.

No ramen until spring unless I have extra sealed plastic containers to store them in.
Yes! Success! Glad it's working, Claire!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #80
Master Chef

Yeah, but I hate to open my pantry. It is a bizarre cupboard that has never been invaded before. The previous critters were not pasta lovers! Who knew a dry bit of uncooked pasta would do it. Can't wait to scrub the darned thing!

Tags
None