"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #21
Executive Chef

health nut here, I only fool with brown rice.....made gummy rice for years

until...

I learned to cook my basmati rice in my pressure cooker. For 1 cup of basmati rice, use 1 1/2 cup water, bring to pressure, cook 15 minutes, let pressure drop naturally..perfect rice every time..

Old 10-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
health nut here, I only fool with brown rice.....made gummy rice for years

until...

I learned to cook my basmati rice in my pressure cooker. For 1 cup of basmati rice, use 1 1/2 cup water, bring to pressure, cook 15 minutes, let pressure drop naturally..perfect rice every time..
INTERESTING ...

Have you cooked brown rice in a pressure cooker?

Old 10-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Basmati, jasmine...... the rice you folks mention sound so good.
The rice I picked up for that recipe I think was called river rat rice
Old 10-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I used to use Minute rice. like you pacanis, I found it did not have bad flavor. It just did not taste like anything. It was fine for when I was using it as something to put chili on or other things that had tons of flavor. Eating it on its own us unsatisfying though.

Once I started using basmati and jasmine and other rices i could really taste the flavor of the rice. Now that I know the good stuff that is what I will stick with. If you are enjoying the minute rice and see no reason to switch then go for it. It is quick and easy to make and fills your belly. Nothing wrong with that at all.
This is my experience as well. When I first started cooking meals for my hubby and me it was always Minute Rice. Then one day I decided I wanted to see what "real" rice was like. I bought a small bag of basmati rice not knowing anything. I got it because it was cheapest and smallest! Wow, what a difference. Stayed with "real" rice for a long time. Several years later got a box of Minute Rice for a specific recipe that called for it. Used the rest of the box for a side dish later and neither hubby nor I cared for it anymore. Now I get either jasmine or basmati, which ever is on sale and am not looking back. Still haven't gotten the brown rice down but DH doesn't really care for it so may never really get there.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Well if it's any consolation, I do make sure my dogs' dog food contains whole brown rice
Old 10-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Pacanis, if you like Minute Rice and you don't see any appreciable difference in taste, then I think Minute Rice is a good choice for you. It's true that most plain white rice has little taste, but that's why it's a good choice as a side dish for lots of different foods.

You can flavor regular rice by subbing chicken stock for the water, as well as seasoning with lots of different things. You can also brown the raw rice in oil or butter before cooking to get a different flavor. You can probably do that with Minute Rice, too.

I like the taste and mouth feel of regular rice better, but it takes 20 minutes at least so Minute Rice has the advantage there.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

No nutrition...No taste...All so true!!! However if due to time constraints, convenience, and the need to cook small portions for one, then I assure you the Great Pumpkin will indeed rise up out of the pumpkin patch on Halloween if you eat a little "Minute Rice" Pacanis....I do encourage you to try the other types of rice to expand your culinary horizons and to...

Have Fun!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #28
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Once in a while I will brown some pork chops, add some onions, chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup, milk and minute rice. The minute rice always absorbs some of the liquids out, which is what I want, and is always done perfect.
Could I do the same thing with white rice? Would I need to par-boil it to get it started, like that lazy golumpki recipe called for?

The only advantage I am seeing so far is it has more nutrients. And I don't really eat rice as a nutrient, I eat it along with other stuff. I don't pay attention to what I eat anyway, if it tastes good, I eat it. Regardless of nutrient content or lack of.
And I don't think minute rice tastes like dirt. I don't think it has much of a taste at all, which is why I only rarely eat it as a side and if I do, I load it up with butter.

I'm just not seeing anything that would sway me away from my big red box with the fluffy rice on the front of it...
Regular white rice takes a few minutes longer, but it too absorbs all the liquid you don't want your food floating in. So does brown rice (which is what I use) but that takes about 45 minutes.

Minute Rice may not taste like dirt, but real rice has a definite (and pleasant) flavor.

What I don't understand, is why you would mind taking a few minutes longer to prepare something that actually has food value?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Regular white rice takes a few minutes longer, but it too absorbs all the liquid you don't want your food floating in. So does brown rice (which is what I use) but that takes about 45 minutes.

Minute Rice may not taste like dirt, but real rice has a definite (and pleasant) flavor.

What I don't understand, is why you would mind taking a few minutes longer to prepare something that actually has food value?
Thanks. Liquid absorbtion was a concern, as in would one "work" differently than the other, which is the idea I got because that recipe specifically said NOT to use minute rice So if anything, I might need to cook something longer usiing regular rice. That's no big deal, as I'm usually simmering the dish for twenty minutes or so anyway.

And it's not that I refuse to cook a food with value, but when you have a big box of minute rice sitting on the shelf and I go to the store to fulfill a recipe's requirements to use regular rice..... inquiring minds want to know why

And like I said, with all the talk of rice cookers and always cooking the rice perfectly every time.... why would I want to switch to a finicky rice when minute rice comes out perfect every time? That was also a concern.

If I relied on rice as a main food staple I may think differently.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
INTERESTING ...

Have you cooked brown rice in a pressure cooker?
I don't think so..but I just checked, I am out of basmati rice and have in stock a long grain brown rice that I have not opened yet. I will use the same technique when I do cook it, maybe I'll do that soon..

Tags
None