"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #31
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I can't give you any advice about rice cookers. My "rice cooker" is a pot with a lid, preferably one I can see through, so I can see when the liquid has all been absorbed.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #32
Head Chef
Hi Pacanis,
I've never really understood the issue with plain jane rice prep. For me, (and many I suppose) 1 part rice, 2 parts liquid, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 18 to 20 minutes with lid on. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Always makes perfect rice for us. Of course, the variations are endless, such as toasting the rice grains in your pot with a bit of olive oil or butter. Adding seasonings, herbs ect.... Using stock instead of water ect... Heck, rice is easy. No need for special cookers and whatever. As far as using rice as an ingredient in a stew, cassarole, soup, ect., timing and liquid to rice ratio would be very important.

"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #33
Head Chef
i used to reaslly like minute rice .. until i tried jasmine .. oh my ..
that stuff is tasty ..
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #34
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Hi pacanis - Hopefully, you have a Goya food section in your grocery store. If it is well stocked, there are small boxes of jasmine, basmati and other rices there that you can try. I do nto remember the strain, but, when I made the Paella, It called for an extra short grain rice. In fact the more I researched the dish, the more it said that the rice was the "Big Show" and not the seafood. I poo pooed the whole idea. I did buythe Goa rice recommended for the Paella. I was way wrong, the rice was the show. It combined all the seafood flavors, the chicken flavor and the sausage flavor. In fact everyone ate the seafood and I had rice for leftovers - Magnificent. Try some different rices, I think you will be happy.

If you want a great Paella recipie, let me knwo.

One difference between a cook and a chef is that the cook mows the lawn, while the bread is rising.
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
We don't have a specific Goya section, we have pasta sections and rice sections. I never noticed the rices mentioned here, but they might have them hidden somewhere. Probably next to the panko bread crumbs, which I can never find.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #36
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I just lurnt something.
Me to Jeekinz
I looked at the heading and thought "minute" as in time or "minute" as in small.
That got sorted out quickly
Then I came across your post -- "lurnt"- gosh darn that's Joisey spelling
Thanks for the little chuckle to start my day mate.

BTW, we spell "lurnt" learnt -- because it rhymes with burnt
We are happy little Vegemites, happy as can be
attie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #37
Master Chef
I keep an assortment of different rices - Minute Rice (white & brown), regular white, regular brown, Jasmine, Basmati, wild (kept in the fridge) - in my pantry & use them for different things.

Life is short, & it's not going to get shorter because you might prefer Minute Rice to other types. Use/eat what you like. :)
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #38
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I can't stand the texture of Minute Rice. It takes so little time to make rice that time was never an issue for me. As for liquid absorption, I often use whatever liquid that will be in the meal I am preparing, such as chicken broth.

For most of my life I knew very little about rice (still don't know a lot). As far as I knew there were long-grained and short-grained white rice. Then I learned about brown rice.

It wasn't until recently that I tried jasmine rice, and I am hooked! I love it! I have also bought some basmati rice but haven't tried it yet.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
I still need to cook some regular white rice up plain and compare from what I am used to. And I did look for jasmine and basmati in the store last time I was in, so now I know wher eto find them. Right next to the rice (lol). I wish panko was that easy to find....
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #40
Executive Chef
I like brown rice it's so easy to make just follow the directions on package. I add chicken stock some garlic powder a couple pinches of cumin and salt.

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote