"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Since we are talking rice let me stir things up a little. There's also red, black, green, purple and other rices. I have some of these in my freezer.
Here you go
Specialty Rice

Old 10-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #42
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thank you for the link to the different rices. Some of them look very interesting! I have to admit that it worries me when it says, "Call for price!"

Barbara

Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Thank you for the link to the different rices. Some of them look very interesting! I have to admit that it worries me when it says, "Call for price!"

Barbara
Thats weird they used to sell in small quantities. You can always google.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #44
Head Chef

I like to make brown and wild rice with mushrooms and shallots.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #45
Head Chef

One quick thing I wanted to add. I normally buy my basmati rice from SAMs or COSTCO. My preferred brand is Royal and it's a large bag (15 lbs) but it lasts for a long time.

In case anyone did not know, basmati rice is like wine, the older the better. The flavor intensifies as it ages and makes it nuttier.

So you can buy the bag (cheaper than buying small boxes) and store it in your pantry in a large container.

I like brown rice but I love the aroma of basmati too much to use anything else except aroborio for risotto.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #46
Head Chef

We have several varieties of rice in the house: "regular" long-grain white rice and brown rice for most western dishes, Calrose (medium-grain white rice for Asian dishes), white Basmati and brown Basmati for Indian and similar foods, Jasmin (long-grain, white, also for Asian cuisine), Arborio and sometimes Carnaroli for risotto, plus some others on occasion. The one thing that never comes into this household is Minute Rice, which is to the real thing as Wonder Bread is to homemade sourdough. If you can't tell the difference, either the rice has been prepared incorrectly or you should find another hobby.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #47
Head Chef

I agree on the Minute Rice. If you want a true "instant" rice, just dehydrate cooked rice.

This is what camper's do. All it takes is rehydration in hot water for a few minutes. No boiling.

Also a great use for all that leftover rice from dinner......

Tags
None