Fav pasta shape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tough question alright! I love spaghetti, farfalle, Penne, and linguini. I'm making some Penne tonight. I like to just saute evoo and lots of garlic, cayenne peppers, and a few veggies and add either chicken or shrimp. Tonight...........it's shrimp!

Angel hair, hands down. Especially this time of year with basil plants and fresh tomatoes out my kitchen door. I like it all, but I really have a thing for angel hair, especially when there are fresh veggies around. It's a quick meal for one. My favorite brand is Barilla, because it holds up to being refridgerated and reheated better than most brands.

Pasta is a staple in our house, we love it all. But when I'm cooking just for me, the angel hair comes out.

Second favorite are small shells or elbows (I love the Mexican brand, of course I can't think of the name right now, also their fidello).

But none of it is bad. Least favorite would be big pasta -- caneloni, lasagna, big stuffed shells. But calling this least favorite is like picking your least favorite child. It's all great stuff.

Claire - but do you REALLY like angel hair? :chef: Angel hair is my hubby's favorite - he doesn't care what the sauce is just make it angel hair!

I absolutely love pasta dishes so......if I had to pick I'd say spaghetti, fettuchini, linguini, ravioli, and penne.

Rob Babcock said:
When I was growing up my mom used to make what she called goulash, although I later learned it bore no resemblance to real goulash. It was basically burger browned with onions in tomato sauce, mixed into macaroni or shells and a can of corn. To this day I have a soft spot for comfort stuff like that.

My mom made that with spaghetti and no corn...she called it "slumgullion". I make it with elbow macaroni, spaghetti sauce, corn or beans with Velveeta Cheese on top and call it "Texas More" cause I learned to fix it in Texas, and everyone asks for "more".

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite, but I use wide egg noodles more than anything else. I love bowties, shells, and all the rest.

barilla piccolini classics all of them: wagon wheels (#1 fav), bowties, penne and twists.

i also like small shells and thin linguini.

I'm with Tweedee, I love all pasta. My favourites are the thick ones, bucatini, perciatelli, campanelle, and the best is the long really thick macaroni.

For Italian I personally enjoy simple spagetti but I do like the silliness of cellentani. The elongated macaroni and ridged texture on the outside has a fun feel in the mouth.

I have not found a favorite asian pasta as I like them all.

Ooooo! Angelhair! Ever since I was a little girl. I used to ACTUALLY think it was made from an angel's hair and that it would make me better behaved. :LOL:

I like them all, but I tend to favor thicker, chewier pastas. One of my favorites is Orecchiette, or Little Ears, a thick, cup-shaped pasta that's about the size of a dime or slightly larger. It's great for capturing and holding thick, hearty sauces, as in this recipe, a family favorite:

ORECCHIETTE CON BROCCOLI E SALSICCE
(Orecchiette with Broccoli & Sausage)

1 bunch fresh broccoli (about 3 or 4 stalks)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
½ pound sweet Italian sausage (turkey sausage is fine)
½ cup water
Salt & fresh pepper to taste
1 pound orecchiette or other cup-shaped pasta, such as small shells
½ cup grated Romano cheese (or parmesan)

Cut stems off broccoli; peel and slice center stem into rounds. Cut stalks into
serving-sized pieces. Place broccoli in steamer, or bring a pot of water to a
boil.

Steam or boil broccoli until it's tender but still crisp. Remove broccoli and
chop into medium-fine pieces. You should have about 3 cups, but the
amount isn't critical -- 2 to 4 cups would be OK. Set aside.

Remove casings from sausages and coarsely chop the meat. Set aside.

Warm oil in a medium skillet or large saucepan over medium heat; add
garlic and stir until it becomes fragrant, about 30 to 60 seconds.
Add the chopped sausage to the pan and sauteed over medium heat until
it loses its pink color.

Add to the pan the chopped broccoli, the water, and salt and pepper to
taste. Bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the
broccoli breaks down and forms a thick paste; use a cooking spoon to help
break it up from time to time as it cooks. Add a bit more water if it begins to
dry out. This will take 10 to 20 minutes, and the end product will be a thick
green sauce with pieces of sausage floating in it.

In the meantime, bring a large pot of water (about 8 quarts) to a boil; add 2
tablespoons of salt. Then add pasta and cook according to package
instructions. Pasta should be al dante, still a little firm when you bite it.

Drain pasta, add broccoli/sausage mixture and grated cheese. Toss until
the cheese melts, and serve.

Attachments

• Orecchiette with Broccoli & Sausage.pdf
    27.9 KB · Views: 115
Yes, Kitchenelf, I do like angel hair best. I just think it goes with fresh (or even frozen) veggies best, and you can boil it in seasoned broth and it absorbs it well. But seriously, I almost always just make if for myself. I tend to wake up hours before my husband, and it is often the meal I make for myself. Angel hair, frozen brocolli (in the winter,, in the summer it is fresh tomatoes and basil), and a tossing of some sort of strong cheese (blue, parm, asiago, romano), olive oil, hot peppers (dried in the winter, fresh in the summer). Greens (sometimes leftover Greek salad from a restaurant meal, but again, in summer, something from the garden). BUT I do have to say, I make this for myself and not often for anyone else. It is too easy to overcook when you're making a lot of it. It goes from perfect to mush in seconds. My family and friends aren't crazy about it, and I think it is for that reason, they've mostly had it over or under cooked. So when making pasta for friends and family, I go with what I consider a heartier pasta, something that can stand up to being boiled then baked. But if I'm just cooking for me, it is angel hair, olive oil, and vegetables, a strong cheese, and spices; and I can make myself a meal before my husband even wakes up. 15 minutes or so.

call me silly, I like angel hair least. My preference, like Scotch, is generally for the thicker, chewier shapes, like strozzapreti.

However, I love linguine and fettuccine for brodos and seafood dishes. :)

Linguine with clam sauce -- both red and white -- rank among my favorite foods.

I love angel hair, I will eat a heavier pasta, but don't enjoy it as much and I never eat lasagna...DH loves any type of pasta as do my kids..When I fix angel hair it's usually with evoo, red pepper flakes,roasted veggies or just a simple fresh tomatoes and basil, my favorite. I'll make any kind you like though if you come visit..Even homemade ravioli.
kadesma;)

I love angel hair, I will eat a heavier pasta, but don't enjoy it as much and I never eat lasagna...

Never eat lasagnia? :huh:

I'm sorry, I thought I read that you never eat lasagnia. OMG :shock:

When I die, I want to be buried in the following manner...

Sauce, pasta, sauce, cheese, me, pasta, sauce, cheese, me... Repeat until you run out of me then add one more layer of pasta sauce and cheese. Bake until I'm golden brown and in heaven.

Never eat lasagnia? :huh:

I'm sorry, I thought I read that you never eat lasagnia. OMG :shock:

When I die, I want to be buried in the following manner...

Sauce, pasta, sauce, cheese, me, pasta, sauce, cheese, me... Repeat until you run out of me then add one more layer of pasta sauce and cheese. Bake until I'm golden brown and in heaven.

You read me right..I never ever eat lasagna..Most of the people who have made it {lord this is going to sound awful} don't make the sauce like we do..I make my mother in laws and my mom's pasta sauce..It's rich with imported mushrooms, super thick with meat that melts into it,it's brown not red from the broth of the mushrooms, and so tasty you could eat it alone..I've made lasagne a few times, I really don't even care for ravoili and I make those as well. I guess it's the heaviness of the pasta...I now feel guilty and I need to get in and make my family several batches:LOL: I know they will love it so now i'm on the hook..
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom