Originally Posted by zfranca
I am also partial to Barilla pasta. Equally good are: De Cecco, DiVella.
There is only one instance in which I MUST use De Cecco. Here is why:
Lasagna rolls with prosciutto and zucchini
A different way to prepare the classic lasagne
6 Lasagna strip De Cecco
2 lbs Small zucchini
2 TBSP Chopped parsley
¼ cup Olive oil
1 Clove of garlic (pressed)
1 tsp salt
6 Slices of prosciutto or ham.
1 cup Prepared béchamel sauce (page..)
8 oz Provolone cheese or buffalo mozzarella (shredded)
2 TBSP Grated parmesan cheese
Oil and salt for boiling lasagne
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, add salt and 1 TBS of oil. Cook lasagna strips for 6 minutes, Remove and spread on a towel to cool. Once cooked, the lasagna strips will measure 10x51/2 inch. You may use a different brand or make your own pasta. However the quantities listed are for this size of pasta. If your lasagna strips are smaller or larger, please adjust the quantities accordingly.
2. Dice zucchini finely (brunoise). If you are using large zucchini, discard the central white part. You should obtain 4 cups.
3. In a very large sauté pan heat oil with chopped parsley and press garlic directly into the pan. Add diced zucchini and salt to your taste and bring heat to high, stirring frequently. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. If you do not have a large frying pan, cook the zucchini in two butches. We want the zucchini to maintain a crisp and not mushy consistency.
4. Spread 2 TBSP of béchamel sauce over each lasagna strip (reserve remain for final assembly), then a slice of prosciutto, ½ cup of cooked zucchini, and shredded cheese..
5. Roll it in jelly roll fashion, wrap it in aluminum foil and freeze for about ½ hour to stiffen. If you plan this recipe for later use, just keep the rolls frozen.
6. If you are using pre-frozen rolls, take them out of the freezer several hours before your dinner preparation, so you can easily cut them crosswise into four pieces.
7. Preheat oven to 450 ° F.
Using the remaining béchamel: lightly cover the bottom of a baking dish of your choice suitable for serving at the table. Arrange lasagna rolls into it, spread remaining béchamel sauce and parmesan cheese over the top. Bake until golden brown on top (about 20 minutes). If you have a broiler you might broil for a few minutes.