Favourite brand of Italian style pasta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like a little less than Pic. #2. Maybe meatballs and maybe not. It depends on who made them. I know a few folks who make cannon balls. I try to avoid them even as friends. I like my meatballs cooked in the gravy as in a Sunday Dinner Gravy. :angel:

i like to eat some pasta on the edges of the plate completely un-sauced, then some sauced properly, and then some swimming in sauce.

...Barilla was a distant second but I still refuse to buy anything from them because of their hideous political stances...

they have refused to use images of gay people in their advertising...

The CEO was asked in an interview if he would use gay couples in their advertising and he replied never. OTH, he is pro-gay marriage, but anti-gay adoption. He also seems to have some sexist views about who does the cooking. It sort of breaks my brain.

I didn't know any of this. Barilla is now off limits for me.

Is there any way to learn this kind of information so you can choose to express your views through boycotting the products?

Is there any way to learn this kind of information so you can choose to express your views through boycotting the products?
That's a good point Andy. I guess we could Google any brands, but that seems like it would take a lot of time.

RB, I'm not quite that bad off. i am about 30 minutes from Trader joe's, Costco and Whole (Paycheck) Foods. If you ever get into Atlanta on the NE side, you should visit Dekalb Farmers Market. It is unbelievable and reasonably priced. Bring a cooler, but not a credit card and you will do fine. :)Cash and debit card only.

No offense, but Atlanta is probably the last place I would want to go.
I used to have to go there for meetings twice a month and the traffic was horrendous.
Thanks for the advice though!

On my second trip to Italy ten years ago I realized something I hadn't noticed before: Americans typically pile a lot more sauce on their pasta than Italians, and therefore we don't get as much of the pasta flavor. I'm not saying one way is more "right" than the other, but it might explain why we tend to not care as much about brands.

By the way, I'm kind of an inbetween type. I like more sauce on my pasta than what you see in the second photo below, but sauce isn't all I want to taste.

Americans:
sauce-blowup-1.jpg

Italians:
pasta-sauce-5.jpg

I'm in between too. My daughters always wasted so much sauce. When they were done, there would be half a cup left on the plate.
We dress our pasta. We don't bury it in sauce.

I felt the exact same way when I first heard this. But I now see everyone has an opinion and I can choose to buy the product or not.
Give me a better alternative and i leave Barilla in the dust and never look back.
But to never buy it again, leaves me with little choice but to buy inferior pasta.
I hate it, but its Barilla until I can find something else as good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom