Favourite kind of Rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My name is sparrowgrass, and I am a rice-a-holic.

Jasmine and basmati are favorites, and I make sushi once in a while, so I have a couple bags of that kind.

Now for a commercial for some good Missouri grown rice. I pick this up at the mill when I am in the area, but you folks can order it on line.

http://martinrice.com/ has absolutely the best, freshest, most flavorful rice I have ever tasted. I don't get a kickback, but I sure wish I did, because I recommend it to everyone.

Not sure if I could really pick a favorite, but I will throw one out that no one has said yet...Sushi.

Wild Rice is one of my favorites. In fact I bought some wanting to fix it with some cornish hens but forgot to buy the cornish hens. Oh well another meal on the list for the next shopping trip.

:) I like basmati and rissoto but I love brown rice I cook it with some chicken stock,a little garlic,s & p and a tiny bit of cumin,Then I stir fry some celery,onions,diced tomato and kidney beans put that on the rice and add some soy sauce.I dont know why but I love this simple little dish.

Jasmine, Basmati and wild rice (okay technically it's not rice, but...) top my list, but I love every kind that've tried :)

Carmargue rice? Now you've got one I've never tried. I'm gonna start looking. I bought some green rice from my local spice merchant, and it is good. He carries several exotic rices so I periodically pick one up. I made risotto for a freind who visited a few weeks ago, and she emailed me that she is now going to try it since she knows it isn't that hard, or fussy (I used CalRose rice -- it has to be a short grain rice, but if you cannot get aborio, that doesn't mean you cannot do it). I will email her back and tell her the real trick is that you have to have a pot of hot stock on the back burner. It can be canned, but it has to be HOT. And you cannot go to the other room. You have to stand there for the full half-hour-to-45-minutes and baby it. And if you want it to really taste good, you cannot be a fat phobic. Good butter and parm really make it.

We all love cooking stories. The first time I had risotto was when friends of ours were getting ready to go on a grand tour of Europe. Each member of the family took a country and made a dish for us. The eldest daughter made risotto. She was at the time maybe 16 or 17, and was so proud of herself!

Having lived in the heart of Cajun country for 9 years I have come to appreciate the joys of rice and how many dishes can be made using it: jambalya, red beans and rice, gumbo, etouffe, and I even serve my beef stroganoff over it rather than noodles. Chili goes over this divine grain as well. I love all kinds (have not tried the carmague but will certainly look for it) but my absolute favorite is Ellis Stansel's popcorn rice. It is the most flavorful and aromatic rices that I've ever cooked--found it in Lafayette, LA and our local Cajun Meat Market in Houston carries it------the owner makes periodic trips back to L. and brings bags of it to sell. For me, my rice cooker is indispensable.

I love rice too. I never used to and then suddenly it became my favourite carb. I think risotto taught me the pleasure of rice, although we don't eat risotto so much now it is one of my favourites. I always have some risooto rice in the cupboard for "can't think what to cook after work" evenings. Lemon risotto, or a plain parmesan one with pistachios are my favourites. Or risi bisi is great...I always check deli counters in super markets to see if they have an end of prosciutto that will be cheap and great for risotto!.

From risotto I graduated to other rices....Wow, yes the carmargue red rice is lovely, and wild rice is wonderful but my currant favourite is a black short grained Korean rice, that takes a little while to cook, but not as long as wild rice, and is great cooked in a little stock, simply. We have rice quite a bit, as another lazy after work meal we have about twice a week is panfried salmon with veg and rice.

Oh, and kedgeree, which we have towards the end of the pay month when I am trying to strech my shopping budget!

We just eat loads of rice.

I wish I could like rice pudding. Maybe somebody here has a TnT recipe which will get me to like it?

I love rice as a fluffy bed for chop suey or beef chow mein, in porcupine meatballs, in Spanish rice, stuffed bell peppers, sushi, rice pudding, and (haven't had this since I was a kid) glorified rice. Oh yeah, I also love fried rice, especially the fried rice they make at a Japanese restaurant I used to go to.

:) Barbara

Being Persian, I only know one kind of rice.
And it goes into everything. For the most part, here at home, I just use basmati rice. No clue what it actually is that they used when I was in Iran, but I think some was grown there.

I like rice with baqala (which I think are fava beans) and dill. I'm actually making it right now.

But since everyone's mentioned risotto, I always forget that it is rice. I've only used arborio rice to make it. All the different rices though make me want to try a bunch of new kinds since all I ever have at home are basmati, and I guess once or twice, arborio.

My favourite way to do rice at the moment is with coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves, I have used this for most of my Thai dishes lately. I also love all rice puddings ( so do my hips) kedgeree, pilafs etc.
Bring on the rice. :) Just treat each variety how it is meant to be treated, then add you own touch!
I hate being a traditonalist sometimes!! :)

Friends we know from Hawaii came to visit recently. One of them was born & raised in Hawaii. All of us spent quite a few years there. He said he was bringing and cooking the ahi, I was in charge of everything else. When they arrived I gave them the choices of three types of rice I had. Everyone's face lit up when I said I had cal-rose.

Not trying to push a brand here. Just that it is a versatile short-grain for all purpose use. I made spanish rice with it last night and my husband is still having happy dreams about it! He loves rice much more than I do. I, personally prefer the long grains (basmati, jasmine) and converted. Oh, dearie me. But my international guests always love my cal-rose.

Maybe I should write them for an ad? Nope, I don't think so. Given the huge bags they used to sell in Hawaii, they're doing quite well on their own. I get it here in I think it is 5 lb bags and am happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom