"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Fettucine in Asiago Onion Sauce

I was reading a thread about alfredos and remembered I had this recipe to post.

Fettucine in Asiago Onion Sauce

1/2 cup grated asiago
4 tblsp flour
2 tblsp butter
2 tblsp sour cream
1 small yellow onion (bigger than a golf ball but no bigger than a tennis ball), chopped small but not minced
1 clove garlic minced or crushed
Milk
Cooked fettucine

(According to everything I've ever read or been told about making a cheese sauce, this method is backwards. I don't care. Every cheese sauce I've ever made using anything other than soft, creamy cheeses broke no matter how carefully/exactly I followed the instructions. Until this one.)

Have everything prepped and handy so you can add it quickly once it's needed. It really helps because you will be browning things and won't want them to burn.

Melt the butter in a sauce pan and continue cooking on a medium high heat until it just barely begins to brown. Add the onions and cook until they start to soften and become translucent. Add the garlic. Continue cooking the onions, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown. Continue cooking stir constantly until they are a rich, brown color (well carmelized).

Carefully add the flour, stirring to coat everything in it. Reduce the heat to medium low and add enough of the sour cream to make a thick paste. Add the cheese, a little at a time, stirring constantly. The cheese will melt and mix in and start to become really thick. Add any remaining sour cream and stir until all is combined.

Add about a tblsp of milk and stir until combined. Repeat three or for times, then let it heat until it begins to steam. Then add more milk, about a tblsp at a time, stirring and letting it heat. Continue this process until the sauce is the desired thickness.

Heat until very warm/hot and steaming. Add the pasta and stir/toss to coat the pasta. Remove from heat, cover and let sit 5 minutes.

I know it sounds time consuming but it really wasn't. The whole process took maybe 30 minutes.

Next time I make it I'm thinking about adding sauteed mushrooms to it when I add the pasta. I'm thinking they would complement the other flavors well. I'm also thinking I might try using cream instead of milk at the end.

As it was, the sauce was creamy, a little sweet and a little nutty. The flavor of the cheese was distinctly present but didn't dominate the flavor of the onion. Neither was the prinary flavor, they were very balanced with each other.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wow. Pag, THAT SOUNDS REALLY GOOD!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Executive Chef

This sounds awesome !

We love Asiago ... and Fettucine .. and butter .. and sour cream .. well you see how this would appeal to us !

Thanks for the share .. will add this to the menu this coming week for sure !
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
This sounds awesome !

We love Asiago ... and Fettucine .. and butter .. and sour cream .. well you see how this would appeal to us !

Thanks for the share .. will add this to the menu this coming week for sure !

most certainly +1.

c&p'd.

gracias.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks PAG! C&P...and the mushrooms sound divine!
Old 06-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Thanks guys. Hope you guys like it as much as we did.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

That sounds really good! I will have to put this on the meal menu. Thanks!

Tags
None