"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Sous Chef

First homemade pasta!

I was putting my lasagna together with my first attempt at home made pasta when I realized I had no idea if fresh pasta expands! I also am not sure how thin it should be (I rolled it out by hand), and why do some people use half semolina, while the recipe on the flour bag says to use all semolina? What recipe do you use? The one on the bag was:

1 1/2 c semolina flour
2 eggs
2 T water
2 T olive oil

Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Well the lasagna was so good I ate way too much of it, but I think I kneaded the dough a bit too long because the noodles were a little tough. They were also a little thick, but that's because I was using a rolling pin. I plan to get a pasta maker, but it won't be until after I move this summer. One less thing to worry about.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My recipe for homemade pasta is: ~100 grams of flour per serving plus enough water to make a nice dough. Really. I put the flour in a bowl and then add water a bit at a time until it feels right. Then I knead it a little by hand and then run it through the pasta rollers, set at thickest, until it seems kneaded enough. Then I wrap it and let it rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I use two to one ratio for pasta. Two parts AP flour to one part semolina. The semolina helps strengthen the pasta without making it too rubbery or tough.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My recipe for homemade pasta is: ~100 grams of flour per serving plus enough water to make a nice dough. Really. I put the flour in a bowl and then add water a bit at a time until it feels right. Then I knead it a little by hand and then run it through the pasta rollers, set at thickest, until it seems kneaded enough. Then I wrap it and let it rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
I forgot to mention that I use hard, whole grain flour.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I understand what you mean about adding liquid til it feels right. I ended up adding more because the dough was way too stiff. It's nice to have a guideline for how much is enough tho :) so if you used 100% semolina the noodles would be tough/rubbery? I used 1/2 and 1/2 by weight (which is closer to 2:1 by volume since ap flour is fluffy).

Oh, and does fresh pasta expand much since it is already moist?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
No eggs?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
No eggs?
Nope. I looked at the ingredients on my whole grain pasta from Italy and it reads, "Ingredients: organic durum wholewheat semolina". So, I tried making it without the egg and it worked just fine.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
Nope. I looked at the ingredients on my whole grain pasta from Italy and it reads, "Ingredients: organic durum wholewheat semolina". So, I tried making it without the egg and it worked just fine.
Huh... Who knew? Lol
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Yep, it's fine to make pasta with no eggs. This is how it's made in the traditionally poorer regions of Italy.
Today was my first foray into home made pasta, done with 100g plain flour, one egg and some olive oil (didn't measure, just added until it combined nicely).
I don't have a pasta roller so I used a rolling pin which wasn't too successful - managed to get it down to about 0.75cm but when cooked it felt thick. Still, rollers are on order ;)

Tags
homemade, pasta