"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
If the pasta got stuck, obviously the pot was not big enough and/or you didn't use enough water. As with any kind of pasta, they need to swim around freely while being boiled.
However, the next time I suggest using fresh pasta, instead of dried. No precooking necessary. Just lay it out directly, and make sure all the pasta surface is covered with the sauce, it will cook perfectly in the oven.
Also for a second option, if you read the direction on the package while shopping, there are also "no precook" dried version of lasagne pasta available, too. (They are very thin, so cook more easily.)
As Lulu said, there is no particular rule as to "how" the pasta is laid down, the important thing is, just cover the entire surface, it doesn't really matter. Also as suggested, make sure you spread some of the sauce at the bottom of the baking dish. This way the pasta will stay moist, no sticking.

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
Master Chef
To make it simple use No-Boil noodles, Barila makes one. Second, like it was said before put some sauce on the bottom of the pan, I usually spray the pan with some olive oil. I'm not sure about spreading of ricota problem as I've never had this problem. Maybe our meat sauce it too thin.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
Sous Chef
Many good suggestions given. Check the Lasange Box for directions on how to cook the pasta

Yes cook al dante

A small amount of tomato sauce on bottom of pan (do not grease)

One layer of the pasta

A layer of grated mozzarella cheese

A little tomato sauce

Mix your Ricotta: Place in a bowl and add one egg for each pound of ricotta. Season with black pepper, parsley and spread on one layer of
pasta. THE SMALL AMOUNT of tomato sauce on top of the ricotta layer.

Continue. Remember to use "a small amount" of sauce between layers.
Top layer sauce and grated mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil. Cook
350 oven 45 minutes. Remove foil. Cook ten minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
mufan, I use regular noodles (that you are supposed to boil first) but I don't boil them. I put a heavy layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan and do my layering that way. You have to water down your sauce in this method though, I add about 2/3 cup more water to the sauce.

If you are going to continue to boil your noodles first a couple of tricks that might work for you. 1) use a roaster to boil your noodles, they will lie flat in there and not get curled up. 2) put a tbsp of oil in the water so the noodles won't stick, 3) use a really big pot with lots of water in it so the noodles don't get close to the bottom of your pot.

And as to the direction you lay the noodles, go length wise. Let us know how your next adventure goes!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:09 PM   #15
Master Chef
Buy a box of Barilla No Cook LAsagna Noodles and use the recipe on the box.

It's simple, foolproof and very good.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I was skeptical about the no bake noodles - but tried them and they worked fine but better yet, tasted good. Urmaniac, fresh lasagna is hard to find here unless you make it yourself. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen fresh lasagna noodles, inforunately. Good ideas here - I don't make lasagna too often because mines seems to collapse when put on the plate and looks like blob of mush! I must be doing something wrong!
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #17
Sous Chef
About collapsing. Maybe make the sauce a bit thinner and the cheese layer thicker (with eggs to hold it?). But even if it collapses, it tastes good, I'll bet.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #18
Master Chef
Another vote for Barilla no-cook lasagna noodles. I LOVE them - taste, texture, ease of use, everything.

And the recipe on the box works GREAT, yet still allows you to add things to make it more "your own".
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Grandma Grillo's Baked Lasagna

Hi, mufan. Welcome to DC.

One of my family members came from Palermo on the island of Sicily and was an awesome cook. Her lasagna recipe has been passed down from generation to generation. It's delicious and, as far as I can tell, foolproof. You might give it a try.

Here's a link to it here on DC: Grandma Grillo's Baked Lasagna
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #20
Sous Chef
Katie E, The lasagna or is it lasagne? I am never sure. Gandma Grillo's Recipe should answer all the questions. NEAT. Thanks

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote