First time lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the no boil noodles are very close in texture to fresh...thin and delicate...both the white and whole wheat are wonderful. I love lasagna. I love to make a very traditional one with various fresh made sauces. BUt I also like the old standby jar sauce, cottage cheese, bag of shredded mozzarella, and burger or Italian sausage version too. It is comfort food!

Aria and Katie: pronounced like an "a" written with an "e", but tastes good any way!

It took me years to get the courage to try making lasagna with uncooked pasta. The brand Barilla is not available in my area, nor is any no-cook lasagna pasta. I have been very pleased with my results of using lasagna uncooked, that was supposed to be boiled. I do add extra fluid to the top of the casserole before baking. This technique greatly speeds up the lasagna making process, and saves water and fuel by not cooking the lasagna prior to baking. I make lasagna much more frequently now than when I used to boil the pasta.

Aria said:
Katie E, The lasagna or is it lasagne?

Aria, actually there is no significant difference, it could go either way. It is just that lasagna is a singular form, and lasagne is a plural form in Italian;)

Ah, thanks Urmaniac....my wretched plurals again.......at least it isn't one of those ones that swaps from masculine to feminine when it goes plural....I'll never understand that. And I have just stopped talking about figs in Italian, rofl

lasagna

Hello!

When I make lasagna, I cook my noodles in a round large pan of water. They do not fit at first, but you should cook them long enough to soften up and fit. They are pretty well cooked before I take them out. I have had lasagna where the noodles were cooked al dente and I thought they were too crunchy. In layering, start out with meat at the bottom of your pan, then layer noodles, mozzarella, cottage or ricotta cheese, parmesan and start over with the meat sauce again one more layer and end with meat sauce and parmesan. If your noodles stick to the bottom of your pan when boiling, add a little oil to your water. good luck:ROFLMAO:

I have only ever used no cook lasagna sheets, and it usually works very well. You must only single layer them though otherwise it is very crunchy. I like the idea of adding extra fluid and I may do that with the no cook sheets to ensure they cokk really well.

Miniman - with the no-cook type noodles, use extra sauce for the "fluid", as adding extra fluid that's thin (water, wine, etc.) can end up overcooking the noodles.

miniman, i just made a lasagna last night using ronzoni no boil noodles, and it came out great.

the definitive secrets to using no boil noodles are to use a lot of sauce, and leave a little room for expansion with no overlapping, sort of like laying a wood floor.

in a deep 9x13 glass baking dish, i put a healthy layer of plain sauce (no meat. i hate ground beef in sugo), then i pressed in 3 sheets of the hard ronzoni noodles, plus i snapped 2 small pieces off of another sheet, to help fill in the end a little.

on top of the first layer of noodles, i spread a good layer of undrained ricotta cheese that had been mixed with 2 eggs and a large handful of torn basil with a fork until smooth.

the next layer of noodles was pressed into the ricotta mix. then more sauce to cover all edges of the top of the noodles.

next, a layer of eggplant slices (that had been lightly sauteed in evoo) is layed down, topped with sauce, and another layer of no boil noodles pressed in.

the next layer started with sauce, again, then i spread out an even layer of cubed/chopped leftover roasted chicken. top that with healthy slices of mozarella, then with sauce, and press on another layer of hard noodles.

the pan should pretty much be full to the top by now, with a little room around the edges. top that final layer with, guess what, more suace, then a little more mozarella, and a few filnal sprinkles of torn basil.

bake the beast, covered, for 35 minutes at 375. uncover, and let it bake another 15 minutes, until the cheese on top melts.

let it sit a good 30 minutes to firm up before serving.

First, it's always best to put a few small spoonfuls of your sauce in the dish and cover the bottom completely- that will eliminate any sticking.

Second, I actually add water to my sauce. This way, I can put the noodles in without boiling them (yep - right out of the package!)

Here's how I layer:
little bit of sauce
noodles
ricotta mixture (ricotta, egg, nutmeg, salt, sometimes spinach)
sprinkle of parmesan/mozzarella mixture
sauce
noodles
ricotta mixture
parm/mozz
sauce
noodles
ricotta mixture
parm/mozz
sauce
Bake till bubbly, with foil over the top (really tightly fit on!)
Then, take off the foil and top with mozzarella. Bake for another 10 min till bubbly.

What temperature and for how long? :)

You guys are talking lasagna and my mouth is watering. Thanks a lot. I don't have any ricotta or lasagna noodles, and don't have access to my car right now. LoL

Ok, getting ready to make TWO lasagna's. One for the freezer.

I'm planning on putting the pasta (lasagna noodles) in uncooked. Will I need to bake the lasagna, fully or partially, first before freezing or can I assemble it and freeze it?

I'll be baking at 375 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, I think. Although I'll play the timing by ear.

Ok, getting ready to make TWO lasagna's. One for the freezer.

I'm planning on putting the pasta (lasagna noodles) in uncooked. Will I need to bake the lasagna, fully or partially, first before freezing or can I assemble it and freeze it?

I'll be baking at 375 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, I think. Although I'll play the timing by ear.
My SIL cautioned me big time about at least par cooking the noodles especially if you freeze.

I have one in the oven right now ... taking a rest before I prepare the one that will be frozen. I'm just too poop'd. LoL

I have made lasagna for years but when there is a bumper crop of zucchini or summer squash I have removed the skin cut them in 1/8 to1/4 inch strips as wide and long as the squash and used them instead of noodles. The squash is fresh no boiling needed. Use a thicker sauce since the squash releases moisture. Do everything else your favorite way but watch it cooks faster. It isn't as firm as usual but it tastes great and solves what to do with all that squash. I've even served it not telling it was a no pasta lasagna and everyone was surprised that it wasn't just soft noodles.

I'm a BAD girl!!!

I always fully cook my Lasagna &/or other baked pasta dishes before freezing.

I was just way too tired when I finally got home, and only ended up making ONE lasagna, and put the 'insides' INSIDE the fridge. Everytime I warmed up a piece of lasagna, I took a scoop or two from the bowl (that had the 'cheeses' in it). No more cheese yet, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO now I'll have to get more ingredients. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom