"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Flavorful rice dishes

Does anyone know of any ways to enhance regular rice? such as sauces, seasonings, or little ingredients that will add flavor to ordinary rice?

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
Head Chef

Hot sauce and soy sauce are good additions. Also, saffron.

I like to sautee garlic and onion or shallots, then add to the rice.

Making the rice in broth instead of water also adds flavor.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
Master Chef

A really good starting place is to find a broth or stock you like, and cook the rice in that instead of water.

Herbs are great. If you're using dry, put them in the water before you cook, if you're using fresh, toss in after cooking.

Towards then end of cooking the rice, put in some of your favorite salsa, toss, and let sit for a bit.

Pesto is very good in rice.

Sautee some onions (and peppers if you like them), add a favorite curry blend, add the water and cook as usual. Serve with a chutney.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Master Chef

merstar and I must have been posting at the same time, with many of the same ideas!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Jeager sauce
Render some Bacon, add
Slice mushroom, onion, garlic, rosemary sauted. Add whole butter, let it melt then wisk in flour. You want the consistentcy of wet sand. Let simmer while stirring about 5 min. Slowly add stock(beef, chick, water) while stirring. It will thicken. Add molasses, salt and pepper
Good stuff on wild rice
Old 06-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Take some cold cooked rice and fry it. Add a lot of sesame seeds - about one tablespoon for a cup of rice and fry until they start to pop. Add some tamari and stir quickly and then remove from heat. Really easy and really tasty. This is particularly good with brown (unpolished) rice.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
Cook

I have a great recipe for Mexican rice. Saute 1/2 a chopped onion in some olive oil until it becomes transparent and then add 1 cup of long/medium grain rice into the pan with one chopped clove of garlic. Make sure the rice gets coated in oil and allow it to cook for a couple minutes. Then add two cups of liquid.*You can use water or chicken stock but some of the liquid must be tomato based. I use an 8 fl.oz of plain tomato sauce first and then add another cup of water. You could also puree a tomato, but I find that the canned sauce give it a better tomato flavor. Let it come to a boil and then cover it and reduce the heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the liquid and is soft. Once you turn off the heat let it rest for a few minutes and then fluff with a fork and add salt until it tastes amazing. I make it whenever I cook tacos, enchiladas, and sopés. Enjoy!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
Head Chef

To cooked rice add lemon, lime or orange zest, or fresh citrus juice of choice, & fresh parsley or cilantro.

I have an old recipe using Lipton onion mushroom soup. Will look thu my recipes.

I saved this to try w/ lamb chops.

Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach & Feta rice).

Closet Cooking: Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Executive Chef

One word, Jambalaya!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I love buttery rice to go with curries. It is simple but delicious. After the rice is cooked, stir some butter into the pot of rice, put the lid on the pot, and leave the rice to soak up the butter for 5 or 10 minutes.

Another way to make it is to melt butter in a pot and stirr some dry rice into it. Leave this overnight or for several hours. Then add the water and cook the rice. There is one disadvantage to this method though. If you like to wash the starch out of your rice while cooking, you wont be able to do it, as this would also wash out the butter.

Mel

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, rice