Flavorless Fried rice?? Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tomato sauce...

Im not too fond of the bland fried rice at chinese restaurants

I usually just load it with soy sauce and plum sauce packets and mix it all together :P

OK, I might be wrong for what you are looking for, but it sounds like you're trying to hard. I learned in fried rice societies, and it wasn't stuff you had a recipe for, it was leftovers. I knew I'd learned right when, in Hawaii, at a camp, I said I was making fried rice for breakfast. My local friends were looking for me to get it wrong, and loved it.

It was always leftover rice, short grain.

Locals told me to toss the rice with oil before frying. I'd never done that before.

But the meats were leftovers, with some fresh vegs thrown in.

Oyster sauce, hot sauce, and other stuff thrown in.

It was a never-the-same-twice thing. My husband still loves it that way.

Very hot skillet or wok, I like peanut oil but that wasn't available when I was young, so it was just vegetable oil.

Lots of garlic, several kinds of onion (regular round, green scallions, chives), with the round onions in at the beginning, the white part of a green onion next, and the green part of the onions and chives last, just before serving.

But a "recipe" for fried rice seems counter-intuitive. To me it was (and is) something made with leftovers. Something that you do after making a stir fry or bulgogi or ... and leftover rice. Add veggies, and move on.

If it is flavorless, you need to consider some grocery store sauces (and, yes, I do use them) to give some zip.

Plain fried rice should be bland as it is meant to be the last savory course palate cleanser.
I spent a lot of time in the oldest china town in europe and use sticks and a bowl to eat.
The way I was taught 50 yrs ago was to put some boiled rice in my bowl then reach across to the dishes in the center of the table, select from the dish I want for that mouth full, pick it up with the sticks and use the bowl/rice to catch the drips as I bring it back the sticks to my mouth, after a few mouthfuls the rice is fragrant with the drips I then hold the bowl to my mouth and use the sticks to scoop into my gob then start again.
Lo mai gai is one of the more traditional way to use leftovers.

Actually, tomato sauce and rice work together, around here, it's called tomato rice. Don't know how it's made though.

I play Cooking Mama on my NDS, and according to it, you have to mix the rice with some eggs, already mixed together with it's yolk, before frying. I haven't tried it out myself, but I think that's how it's done.

Every now and then I smoke some pork tenderloin and purposely save some for stir fried rice, I also usually use leftovers that I have. I always use: a little peanut oil to stir fry, soy sauce, ginger, eggs, garlic, minced white part of green onion, white pepper and a teaspoon of rice wine vinegar. I have tried using a little fish sauce when I use shrimp but we don't care for it or 5 spice. Whatever veggies if any go in also. I like to sprinke chopped green onion on top befor serving. I usually serve cucumber salad or kim chee on the side.

Ginger, Garlic, Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil and for the heat lovers a little siracha or chili oil.

I always use a bit of sherry wine in my Asian dishes and I feel like it adds that "restaurant" flavor... Also a few drops of sesame oil adds a nice authentic flavor. If you like heat, I know that there is a brand that makes a spicy sesame oil that I love as well.

Didn't see it mentioned too much but I think one key thing to getting the right flavor is to have the pan hot enough. Pan's gotta be pretty hot!

Plain fried rice should be bland as it is meant to be the last savory course palate cleanser.
I spent a lot of time in the oldest china town in europe and use sticks and a bowl to eat.
The way I was taught 50 yrs ago was to put some boiled rice in my bowl then reach across to the dishes in the center of the table, select from the dish I want for that mouth full, pick it up with the sticks and use the bowl/rice to catch the drips as I bring it back the sticks to my mouth, after a few mouthfuls the rice is fragrant with the drips I then hold the bowl to my mouth and use the sticks to scoop into my gob then start again.
Lo mai gai is one of the more traditional way to use leftovers.
I just read this am I pompous or what.

Like many I have become a food network junkie. I've never really been a foodie but lately I have been experimenting in the kitchen more and more. I have always had a couple of basic meals that were |dads" job, but am trying to expand my horizons more . I love asian food in all styles. I want to try to make a bunch of Japanese, Vietnamese, and thai recipes. Here is my problem.
So I made fried rice a couple of times now. I use Onions, peas, carrots, chicken and shrimp, some tomato sauce, soy sauce, garlic, day old rice fried in peanut oil in a wok. It tastes ok but not great. It's still missing something to keep it from being bland. I was hoping someone here may have some suggestions for what I have overlooked that will bring some flavor into my rice.

I appreciate any help you guys can give,

Kraken Fan #69

I agree that I would omit the tomato. The addition of a bit of Chinese 5-spice, and maybe a touch of ginger will add loads of flavor, and if you haven't used them in your food a lot, it will be a great new flavor on your pallate. Use flavors that you like. You might add a bit of good soup base, such as chicken, pork, or beef, depending on the leftover meats you are adding. Maybe serve up the rice with a little home-made sweet and sour sauce, either mixed in, or on the side.

Seeeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

I just read this am I pompous or what.
Bolas, actually, it describes the end of an asian meal very accurately. Some cultures regard bringing a plate/bowl into contact with one's mouth, and shoveling food into one's mouth with chopsticks or any other utensil, as impolite table manners. But it's the only practical way to finish off a bowl of rice that's become drenched in your meal's sauces.

I don't use this, but might suggest it -- MSG.

Thank you chief mate I thought at first it was a Gore Vidal ref so I googled it:)
Could I be Major General Trumpington "Duke" Williwaw MBE DSO VD and scars

Thank you chief mate I thought at first it was a Gore Vidal ref so I googled it:)
Could I be Major General Trumpington "Duke" Williwaw MBE DSO VD and scars

My dear freind Bolas, you have earned for yourself whatever title you might choose, so long as it keeps in the spirit of "The People Who Speak What They Will" tribe.:ohmy:

As a Major General, you will be expected to defend our little tribe against any and all who would rail against us.

Let's See. Hmm. I'm still G.W., so the title you chose would make you TDW. Sounds good to me.:)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom