Florentine sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of dish was it in? A lasagna type dish or some other kind? I take it it had no red sauce at all in it. If I know these things it will help - thanks.

Humm ... florentine usually means "spinach" - and "white sauce" usually means "bechamel" - so guessing (reading between the lines) your looking for a recipe for a bechamel (butter/flour roux and milk) sauce with drained and finely chopped spinach ... with a tiny pinch of cyanne pepper and nutmeg?

Here's a basic recipe .... makes about 5 cups:

4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 Quart milk
1 8-oz package frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed dry - chopped fine)
Salt
White Pepper
pinch of cyanne pepper (optional)
pinch of nutmet

1) Melt the butter in a pot - add the flour and cook over low to medium low stirring frequently for about 3-4 minutes (white roux - you don't want it to color).
2) Increase heat to about medium and whisk in the milk (to prevent lumps) and continue to cook until thickened.
3) add the spinach and whisk in well
4) add salt, white pepper, cyanne pepper (if using) and nutmeg.
5) cook about 1 minute more

The sauce will now be ready to use for topping your baked pasta dish.

Last edited:
I was torn between a thick version or a thinner version Michael. And I actually found one that had tomato sauce in it!!! That doesn't even sound good! lol Your recipe sounds delish!!!

Thanks for helping me out! I remember the dish did have spinach in it, so I think we will give this recipe a try. I'm going to mix the sauce with penne and top it with cheese and then put it in the oven. Maybe we will even have it for dinner tonight?
Thanks again
-Brooke

hiya corazon,

i have a slightly different florentine sauce that i make with eggs occasionally. it makes a bed of sauced spinach upon which you place the eggs, but if you reduce the spinach a bit, i think it'll work with a baked pasta dish.

2 (10-oz) boxes frozen chopped spinach
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

cook onion in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 8 minutes. Add half-and-half, thyme, and nutmeg and briskly simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by one third and slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach, salt, and pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, until spinach is heated through, about 2 minutes.

That's the nice thing about bechamel, Elf - if you want it thicker you just use less milk, if you want it thinner use more. I usually start with a little less liquid and then add more to adjust it to the thickness I want.

Back
Top Bottom