"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I tried freezing some of the pasta I made, I dusted it generously with flour. I'll let you know how it comes out when I cook it.

Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sararwelch
I tried freezing some of the pasta I made, I dusted it generously with flour. I'll let you know how it comes out when I cook it.
Sara,
I toss mine into the boiling water still frozen after fist shaking off some of the flour.

kadesma

Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolelaine
I got the kitchenaid attachment for Christmas and I have frozen some of my pasta but it was sticky. Thank you for all of the ideas and the rice flour tip. Have you made any kind of pasta with stuffing? Do you have any suggestions about that.
Hi Carol,
did you have a specific type stuffed pasta in mind? I do make ravioli, flash freeze, bag and sotre in freezer. When water is boiling I get them from the freezer and drop them a few at a time into the boiling water, and cook til I like the toothiness of the dough. If you let ravioli defrost, they will tend to stick together and some want to come open in the water.

kadesma
Old 01-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Spinach Pasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sararwelch
I got the pasta roller attachment for my kitchenaid, and I'm looking for a site where I can find fresh pasta recipes that are more interesting than the basic recipes provided in the package. I'm thinking along the lines of red pepper pasta, spinach pasta, etc.
Hi, Sara. Here's the recipe I use when I make spinach pasta. If you don't want to go to the bother of cooking fresh spinach, I've tried using chopped frozen spinach in its place. As long as you end up with the required amount of spinach, it works just fine.

SPINACH PASTA

(Makes about 1 lb.)

5 oz. fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
2½ cups flour (a little less if using regular unbleached all-purpose
flour), plus additional for dusting
3 extra large eggs
2 tsp. vegetable oil

Place the spinach in a lidded pan with the salt and just enough boiling water to cover. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly then transfer to a colander or sieve and leave to stand until cool. Squeeze the spinach as dry as possible. Wring in a dry, clean dish towel to absorb more of the moisture. You should have about ¼ cup of pulp.

Chop the spinach very finely by hand or, preferably, in a food processor or blender.

Proceed as for fresh egg pasta, beating the spinach into the egg mixture. Use extra flour to dust the pasta, the machine rollers, and work surface. Because the dough is softer than plain egg dough, let it dry for at least 5 more minutes than the plain egg dough before you cook it.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Kadesma, Do you do anything special to the ravioli before freezing it? I've made wontons and dumplings several times but they always stick when I freeze them. Of course, that could be from the cornstarch on the wonton wrappers (?) I would like to make ravioli this weekend, what do you fill yours with? I hope I haven't changed the subject of this tread.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolelaine
Kadesma, Do you do anything special to the ravioli before freezing it? I've made wontons and dumplings several times but they always stick when I freeze them. Of course, that could be from the cornstarch on the wonton wrappers (?) I would like to make ravioli this weekend, what do you fill yours with? I hope I haven't changed the subject of this tread.
Carol. after putting the ravioli together, i place the cut out squares on a cookie sheet that i've sprinkled with rice flour. I use rice flour because it seems to be finer and doesn't clump like regular flour..I then flash freeze the raioli . When frozen which takes about an hour I then put in zip lock baggies..You can if you have them use the ravioli box that you see in stores or deli's..Just make sure to put some of that rice flour in the botton of the box. When ready to cook, get the water boiling and drop in the rav's frozen, bring back to boil and let them go at a low boil to the firmness you like.
My filling has had to change over the years, but, my mother-in-law, made hers with spinach,beef brains, eggs,parmesan cheese, marjoram,
thyme,rosemary,sauteed garlic and onion.. After cooking they are topped with a red meat sauce.Now we use 1/4 lb.finely finely ground veal, 1/4 lb.pork and1/4 lb. beef instead of brains...
\sorry this took so long to answer, had app. for redoing our kitchen and he came as I was answering you..

kadesma

Tags
None