Fried Mush For Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
Fried mush is a breakfast treat generally forgotten except in the South.

Simply boil yellow cornmeal (stirring constantly!) with a little salt and 3-4 times as much water until a thick mush forms. Then ladle it into a mold of some sort - an empty soup can works well. Chill in the fridge overnight. Remove the other end from the soup can and push out the cylinder of cornmeal mush. Slice 1/4" discs from the cylinder and fry to the desired crispness in a skillet with a little bacon fat or butter.

Serve with butter or syrup. Goes well with a variety of other breakfast dishes, and is flavorful and satisfying.

Momma used to make this for me and dad -- usually on Sunday mornings. It brings back great memories.

I love fried mush especially with a little butter and honey.

Hey oldcoot, my mom used to serve this with stew. We would have our stew ladled over this. I can't remember what it was called, but it was some Ukrainian name. Yummy!

My mom used to serve fried mush with maple syrup. I'm from the north ... always thought it was an Amish dish.

My grandma also made this dish. I remember her frying it in a pan and we would add butter and syrup. I also remember small bits of meat in it although I do not remember asking her what kind it was. I think pork. Good post.

While growing up this was a special breakfast..with 5 kids in the family we didn't always have left over mush. Loved it!
Dove

i made fried mush when i was in 4th or 5th grade. i was curious and it was good!
think i might prep some tomorrow for breakfast in a few days.

I only had fried mush a few times as a child. We would normally eat cold cereal on school days and my father would cook on Sundays and he would always fix eggs, bacon or sausage, grits or hash browns, biscuits, gravy but no mush.

Have never had fried grits though.

Icy, you just put the leftover grits in a pan or mold like you do with mush and let chill. Cut and then fry in butter or bacon grease. It is great with syrup or (my favorite) gravy!!!!

kitchenelf said:
Hey, There can only be one smart arse here - you beat me to the same reply :-p:mrgreen:

Then it will have to be me. No one is more of a smart arse than I. Sorry!:mrgreen:

Andy M. said:
Then it will have to be me. No one is more of a smart arse than I. Sorry!:mrgreen:

wait a minute, lol, that's the nickname my babe calls ME! smarta*s, i mean.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom