"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Sorry, I remembered that part wasn't answered but then forgot to answer.

The starches need to cool down or it will just be a soggy, sticky mess. The grains will be "individual" when allowed to cool.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Do I hear pre - SAKI!

If it's heating up, its fermenting..... and stinking!!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #13
Master Chef

My son is a hibachi chef at a Japanese restaurant. They rinse their rice several times before cooking. Put the rice in a bowl, add water to cover, stir, drain, repeat until water no longer becomes cloudy. Then boil as usual. When it is done, remove from heat and stir. Put it in the fridge uncovered after cooling a bit on the counter (about an hour but not longer). Everytime you get in the fridge for something, give it a stir to keep it from clumping. Putting any kind of cover will keep it moist and affect your frying. They make theirs only one day ahead so what is cooked today is served tomorrow as fried rice. It comes out in nice individual grains using this method.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I throw my rice in the freezer to cool it down quickly.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
sean - did we give you the info you needed? You never replied back.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #16
Master Chef

The food poisoning from rice is worse than food poisoning from chicken, and much more common too.

Speaking of fried rice I jus made some, from a day old rice, that was cooling in the refrigerator for a day, did say it was yum?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:16 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Okay, thanks for the info everyone. The SOP for fried rice has been adjusted. :) I had no idea that food poisoning from rice was so common. They should put advice on rice packaging or something.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Anything that has been cooked should NOT be allowed to sit around at room temperature for days on end.

Actually anything not below 40 degrees within 4 hours is gone, and even that is pushing it.(caveat)

My instructor stressed several times how when Sushi became popular in the Americas there were numerous instances of food born illness which were attributed to the raw fish. Actually the illnesses originated in time and temperature abused rice. Or so he said.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #19
Master Chef

Rice should not be held heated for more than 2 hours. If you're going to use it for fried rice - it should be cooled as quickly as possible and then refrigerated. Read this about rice bacteria and toxins.

Fried rice gets made from cold pre-cooked rice to keep it from getting gummy and turning to clumpy mush. When you refrigerate the rice, and it gets cold, the starch inside the rice crystallizes (a process called retrogradation). When you fry your rice - the starch crystals melt but the rice doesn't get sticky - and retains a little more firm texture than fresh rice.

When I make rice to use for fried rice - I usually dunk it into a bowl of ice water until cold, then drain in a sieve, and then put into a covered container and refrigerate. When I'm ready to fry it - I dump it out on a baking sheet and rub it between my hands to seperate the grains and break up any clumps. This is how I learned to do it from the mother of a friend of mine in college.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #20
Sous Chef

i'm not so sure you can things soaking for dayhs on end either. reminds me of the time i wanted to make something with beans and soaked them first, then forgot about them for a few days .............

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Tags
None