"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2017, 12:55 AM   #11
Senior Cook

As a chemist, I can say that boiling probably degrades the toxins in beans rather than just cooking out into the liquid. I have used the cooking liquor from kidney beans, for example, in sauces and never had any troubles. It's not the lectins that are the problem, it's haemagglutinin. I'll have to research the decomposition temperate, but I recall that they are not good to be cooked from raw in a slow cooker as it does not reach the required temperature.

I also make falafel with raw chickpeas and use chickpea flour often with no side-effects whatsoever. Feel free to use them!

Old 02-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Having read about dried legumes and that uncooked legumes can be poisonous but the poison is dissipated upon cooking in boiling water for 10-20 minutes.

My question is which legumes? Are garbanzo beans (chick peas) also dangerous to eat raw? Are they considered a legume?

I noodled around on the internet and couldn't find a good answer. I did find that the cooking of legumes must be in boiling water and cannot be 'toasted' or 'dry heated' to make them safe.

Now garbanzo bean flour is sold, and no mention of this on the package, which leaves me wondering about it. Does anyone know any answers to this? Thanks in advance, Bliss
Chick peas are eaten raw in felafel (if they are made correctly). Never heard anything about them being poisonous unlike red kidney beans & their relatives

Old 02-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
Cook

this is why I buy canned beans!

No, I think I have used chickpea FLOUR though. Isn't that Besan powder?? I forget, but I haven't had issue, although I deepfry this. Are falafals deepfried?? No matter, our chemist (forgot the U/N), said it's fine to eat so I'm not worried. (actually, besan might be from gram or dal lentils...idk. I'm still learning too. :D)

but yeah. I eat kidney beans a lot, but always from the can. Should probably learn to do them from scratch though someday!
Old 02-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Besan is from chickpeas. Also, I knew someone at work who used to make hummus from raw chickpeas, so it's fine :)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
Head Chef

I think, after reading as much as I can about legumes, that my statement is an overly broad statement: "Having read about dried legumes and that uncooked legumes can be poisonous but the poison is dissipated upon cooking in boiling water for 10-20 minutes."

Apparently some are deadly toxic, like the red kidney beans, some less toxic, depending on the amount of heat used, boiling, or just simmering (!!! becareful), and for what length of time. Chick peas/garbanzo beans appear to be a legume or pulse but they can be eaten raw or cooked, in moderate amounts.

I cook all my pulses and legumes from dried and have for years. This seems like something that should be taught in middle school or high school home economics classes. I mean, particularly since dried kidney beans, a FOOD, available in any super market, can be prepared badly, with toxic results, and few people realize it.

I looked at the toxin's or anti-nutritional charts of lectins and beans, and often chick peas were left off the chart. Suthseaxa also said: "It's not the lectins that are the problem, it's haemagglutinin. " That is even harder to research for information.

I'm going to continue to eat them, and even eat the raw bean flour, a little anyways and not worry about it. Thanks for all the input, that helps.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm glad you came to a resolution you're comfortable with.

I'm not sure they teach home economics in schools anymore I know they have culinary education classes in our local high schools, but it's intended to be preparation for a career in cooking, not general education. I think all schools should offer it, along with financial literacy and other such topics, but unfortunately, with budget cuts, there's no money.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #17
Cook

:) I knoooow! what happened to homeec!!?? my father should read this. man he worries me sometimes what he claims to eat or try. i think he gets lucky, but he needs to know.

anyway, good topic though! thanks for the education! :)
Old 02-20-2017, 01:29 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...I think all schools should offer it, along with financial literacy and other such topics, but unfortunately, with budget cuts, there's no money.
Don't forget that a lot of time is spent "teaching the test". With so very much time devoted to standards testing, there is no time left for "Life Skills". Students leave book smart and life dumb.

I think both boys and girls should take basic cooking and shop. Nothing wrong with a lady swinging a hammer properly. And no man has ever been killed washing dishes.
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #19
Head Chef

In 2011 a man was shot in the arm while washing dishes. Stuff happens.
Deputies: Estates man shot in arm while doing dishes

Alcohol is legal, cigarettes are legal, both come with a warning on their packaging. Kidney beans, no such label. Shouldn't it say something like, "must be cooked at boiling for at least 20 minutes or longer".

I took one bag of bean flour, toasted it in the oven until it started a little browning, just for flavor, not safety. I used a couple tablespoons of it in a grain free cracker and I really liked the stickiness of it, and the crackers stuck together nicely. I'm going to give it a try in gravy as a thickener the next time I'm making gravy for all of us.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:45 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Don't forget that a lot of time is spent "teaching the test". With so very much time devoted to standards testing, there is no time left for "Life Skills". Students leave book smart and life dumb.
Oh, I can never forget that. A large part of DH's job is preparing the especially at-risk kids for, and then evaluating the results of, the tests in the science department. It's not a bad thing to have standards; it only means that all kids learn the same information, rather than allowing teachers to teach their favorite parts of the curriculum. I had a ninth grade history teacher who spent six months just on World War II. It's the politicians who turn reasonable requirements into threats to school accreditation and people's jobs, which naturally increases their stress about getting all the kids to pass.

And it does have to do with budgets. Maintaining a kitchen and shop, plus buying consumable supplies, costs a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I think both boys and girls should take basic cooking and shop. Nothing wrong with a lady swinging a hammer properly. And no man has ever been killed washing dishes.
I do, too, and I did take both when I was in school.

Tags
flour, other