Garbanzo Bean Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basic cooking in my school was horrendously basic and rather boring. "Design a sandwich", "design a soup for an athlete and then do pages of write-up and graphs to discuss its crunchiness, sweetness etc."

Yea I didn't get on with that.

Is what you read stating that cooking in boiling water destroys the toxin? I can't imagine that if they are cooked in water that the toxin wouldn't still be present in the cooking liquid, unless it was drained off and the legumes were rinsed.
Most books and recipes recommend that you boil fast for the first 10 minutes of cooking to remove the toxins then simmer until cooked. When they are cooked chuck out the cooking liquid and use the beans for whatever you are planning.

It refers to members of the Kidney bean family but not to chick peas (aka garbanzos)

Having said that I always throw away the liquid from canned chickpeas. No reason really - it's just gloopy and horrid looking.

Having said that I always throw away the liquid from canned chickpeas. No reason really - it's just gloopy and horrid looking.

I saw a recipe on DC, for a vegan or eggless mayo that looked promising, in the past couple months. It used 1/4 cup of the liquid of canned chickpeas as an emulsifier. It had a name, but that escapes me at the moment. It looked really interesting.

Hey GG, yeah, the package (Bob's Red Mill) doesn't specify if the flour is made from raw or cooked garbanzo beans. I wrote them asking that particular question. I'm sure they'll get right back to me. (as they are a good company from all I hear)

Did you ever notice people making falafels use cooked beans, or sometimes just soaked beans, then the falafels are fried for a fairly short time. This leaves me believing that there isn't a risk in using uncooked garbanzo beans. This is the opposite (almost) of there being a toxic risk.

I still feel like 'I don't know."
The Palestinian man who keeps a lovely little café near me and who gave me his mother's recipe for falafels (which he uses in the café), told me that falafels are properly made from uncooked (but soaked) chick peas (Garbanzos). He was most insistence that you can't make falafels with cooked or canned chick peas - but if you prefer to do so - Well, "chaq'un a son gout".

Last edited:
Never heard anything about them being poisonous unlike red kidney beans & their relatives

This is what I have also heard.

But sometimes the food world is a little slow in advising about toxins. This was the first year I had EVER seen a warning at the grocers about being sure to boil Fiddleheads for 15 minutes prior to eating.

Farinata - Socca - Chickpea 'pancakes'

This is a very simple dish, but extremely more-ish! Along the Cote d' Azure, it's called 'Soca' (Nice). In the Italian Riviera, it's Farinata. Everywhere along the coast, up to Genova, around 4.00pm people queue at the baker's to take some home.

This recipe is one that was sent to me by a fellow foodie, some time ago:

1/2 kg chickpea flour.
1 sachet of beer yeast
1 1/2 L. water
10g salt
1 tsp EVOO

Sorry folks, my age-ole computer's started to play games again!

Here is the rest of the recipe:

Mix all the ingredients, making sure there aren't any lumps.
Having done that, leave for 4 - 5 hours. The batter should be smooth and velvety. The thickness, once cooked, should be around 10ml

Heat your pan, bringing up the temperature to round about 225°max, and cook until you have a good golden colour.. You can check as much as you like, and when you're happy that it's all ok, remove it from the oven, sprinkle a bit more salt. You can also scatter a sprinkling of rosemary if that appeals to you. Here, it really is a favourite.

This street is typical of where I live, right down to the Riviera, and there are always crowds waiting!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

We very often use 'L.' to indicate litre. Bad habit. Another thing: we use special pans for this. They are heavy copper bottom and heavy steel on the top. The rim is stainless steel, of about 50ml .They need seasoning, i.e. before first use, pour a thin layer of EVOO, and put in the oven for 1hr on a medium heat, then, leaving the oil in, let the pan go cold. Then wipe it to clean it, I use paper towel, but don't put it in the dishwasher what ever you do. To clean it, use olive oil and paper towel. Store with a piece of tin foil, or grease-proof paper. But DON'T put it in the sink or the dishwasher or any detergent! A pancake pan would be ideal, because I'm fairly sure that there aren't any pans like the one described above.

I'm sure you all know how to season a pan - so forgive me if I'm bringing coal to Newcastle!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom