"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
Not sure I "get" it. ;o)
You posted that the way to reduce the problem is to eat beans often so that you build up a tolerance. I replied that I was still waiting....meaning that I eat beans often and haven't yet seen much of a reduction. Get it?

Old 02-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I have read that putting an aspirin in the beans disables the enzymes that cause the flatulence.
I don't bother...it's more fun to play fart football.
Up here we call it fart tag.

JDP

Old 02-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
Head Chef

Whatever one calls it, I would like to find out how to deal with it too....I have to say, the only thing I find helps is exercise, to kind of shake it through the system quicker. lol.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Well, you could soak them, overnight, and it eliminates some of the problems you may be having.
But, cheer up, there is even better news, actually. If you eat beans often enough, you'll eventually find that your body assimilates to the starch and sugars and you'll not experience whatever it may be you are experiencing. If you have a salad every day, toss a quarter cup in for 4 or 5 days...you'll notice a difference by the end of the week.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Well, you could soak them, overnight, and it eliminates some of the problems you may be having.
But, cheer up, there is even better news, actually. If you eat beans often enough, you'll eventually find that your body assimilates to the starch and sugars and you'll not experience whatever it may be you are experiencing. If you have a salad every day, toss a quarter cup in for 4 or 5 days...you'll notice a difference by the end of the week.
VeraBlue weighs in on the side of common sense.
There may be medical conditions that are different from above but, for the most part, the complaining about the gaseous nature of beans in this thread is the equivalent of "cut the crust off my Wonderbread."

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I eat beans like they were going out of fashion, and can vouch for Verablue's testimony. No "Unwanted Air" problems whatsoever!!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #17
Head Chef

Well, I'm going to trust Clive and VB, they are usually reliable. So, it starts today, I have told DH what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and we are going to try eating them EVERY DAY this week. We have them often, but not daily, so lets see if it makes a difference!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Well, I'm going to trust Clive and VB, they are usually reliable. So, it starts today, I have told DH what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and we are going to try eating them EVERY DAY this week. We have them often, but not daily, so lets see if it makes a difference!
This has seemed to work for our family too. I have been making black lentils recently and after a few days it seems the body gets used to them or maybe we just get used to the effects and don't notice them as much.

JDP
Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Lulu, if you succeed in your quest, let me know as I too suffer from the same problem despite soaking the beans overnight and dumping the water on the first boil. The only relief for me is to rub with an ointment called 'Tiger Balm.'
Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #20
Head Chef

LOL, is there anything Tiger balm is not used for! I'll keep you informed Boufa.....

Tags
None