"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 02-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Gassy Beans

I know that this ? must be in this thread somewhere but I can't find it. How does a person reduce the amount of gas that beans produce when made into soup or anything else?

Old 02-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

If you are talking about dried beans...soaking over-night then pouring off the soaking water....par-boiling...boil for several minutes then pour off water and start with fresh..and epazote an herb you might find (dried) in the produce specialty section of your grocery...

There may be other ingredients in your soup that will cause this condition also.

Hope this helps

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Senior Cook

There are nearly as many "tricks" to reduce the gas effects of beans as there are cooks. I've never seen any scientific study or empirical evidence that measures the true flatus quotient of beans or other foods. All I have heard or seen are based upon rumor or folklore.

None of the suggestions I've seen, and I've tried most of them, have had any significant influence on my system after eating typical gas producing foods. I would not discourage you from trying any of them. After all, what do you have to lose?

Intestinal gas and flatus caused by indigestible complex sugars in certain foods varies from person to person. What may work for one person may not work for another. My father could eat beans, cabbage, cucumbers, etc. and suffer little gassy consequence, however, I must have inherited my mother's digestive system since I could fill a blimp after enjoying the same foods no matter how they were prepared.

The gas is caused by bacteria in the intestine which is able to digest the complex sugars and the gas is the byproduct of their digestion. The only true method of relieving the gas without lighting up the room is to keep the intestinal bacteria from having a feast by breaking down the complex sugars into digestible sugars. There is an enzyme contained in certain molds that will break these sugars down to more simple compounds. This enzyme is sold over the counter as a supplement pill or liquid under brand names such as Bean-o and Bean-zyme.

Perhaps someone should write to MythBusters to take on the bean challenge.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #4
Sous Chef

By building up a tolerance for the type of fiber that beans have. Eating them often and getting your digestive tract familiar with them.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
By building up a tolerance for the type of fiber that beans have. Eating them often and getting your digestive tract familiar with them.
Agreed with emphasis!

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
Uh, still waiting here.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
Uh, still waiting here.
Not sure I "get" it. ;o)
Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Sigh. Welcome to the life of a vegetarian! I still soak beans and discard the water thinking this helps. I'm about to try Bean-O!!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Agreed with emphasis!
What kind of "emphasis?"

I love beans and eat them all the time but still have a bit of a problem sometimes. I think draining the soaking water helps a bit, as does Beano but have not found epazote to work at all. Perhaps this is just me though. I just plan my bean eating such that I avoid business meetings and social events and the like. My gas doesn't bother me.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
Master Chef

I have read that putting an aspirin in the beans disables the enzymes that cause the flatulence.
I don't bother...it's more fun to play fart football.

Tags
None